· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here a neon to keep you company XD - genocidex   Nice tank, fish, and shrimp! - Slaphppy7   Sorry for your loss - Slaphppy7   For the loss of your fish. - steeler58   For the loss of your fish. - steeler58   

Default Aiden's Dwarf Mbuna Tank

1 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, long time no speak!

As some of you may remember, I moved into a new house a few months back. I had to break down my tank and got rid of my Asian black water set up.

Finally got the space and time to set up the tank in the new house.

The parameters of my new houses water are:

Ammonia:0.0ppm
    Nitrite: 0.0ppm
    Nitrate: 5.0ppm
    PH:7.6
    TDS: 323
    GH: 17
    KH: 7

So, the water it a lot harder than I'm used too.

After doing some research and deciding what type of set up I wanted, I have decided to go Dwarf Mbuna. Namely, pseudotropheus saulosi.

Photo 19-05-2018, 23 30 33.jpg

I'm still in the planning phase so far, but in terms of equipment I have:

Fluval Roma 200litre (100cm x 40cm x 50cm) with standard LED light
    2 x Eheim Classic 250
    1 x Fluval U4

Still searching for the rocks and substrate I want to use. Any suggestions?

In term of stocking, how many in the tank would be considered reasonable? I'm also tempted to add in around 6 synodontis petricola as bottom dwellers, or would I be better off with just the saulosi?
    • 50 Gallon Black Water Asian Project: 15 x Sparkling Gourami, 16 x Kuhli Loaches and 45 Chili Rasbora

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome back!

I've never kept cichlids, but sure you'll get some great advice here
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Some dragon rock will look great

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    As far as substrate goes, well you can use anything really, plants dont last with Malawi Cichlids. I have used silica sand with great succes and even for planted tanks. But thats a cream/ beige colour.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome back! I'm looking forward to following along with your build.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a good size to me. I used to use crushed coral or coral sand and of course lots of rocks. looking forward to seeing the progression.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here a neon to keep you company XD - genocidex   Nice tank, fish, and shrimp! - Slaphppy7   Sorry for your loss - Slaphppy7   For the loss of your fish. - steeler58   For the loss of your fish. - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Went to my LFS to pick up some filter supplies. Ended up seeing some nice rock and sand!

Photo 26-05-2018, 11 37 46.jpg

Photo 26-05-2018, 11 37 52.jpg

Photo 26-05-2018, 11 37 55.jpg

Went with Unipac Nyasa sand.

The rocks are called Spider's Wed rock. I can't find much about them online. Apparently they are not inert and will leech minerals into the water which should hopefully help keep the water good for my planned stock. I love the green tint the rocks have though!
    • 50 Gallon Black Water Asian Project: 15 x Sparkling Gourami, 16 x Kuhli Loaches and 45 Chili Rasbora

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Spider's Wed, or Spider's Web?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Spider's Wed, or Spider's Web?
    Spider's Web

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Any idea of what minerals it will release?