· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here a neon to keep you company XD - genocidex   Nice tank, fish, and shrimp! - Slaphppy7   Sorry for your loss - Slaphppy7   For the loss of your fish. - steeler58   For the loss of your fish. - steeler58   

Default Aiden's Dwarf Mbuna Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    The fish with the black on the edges of its fins is very aggressive. Is it a dominant male or female holding? It was laying close to the ground a lot too, in the cave part. The the black edging mean anything?
    Heís is most dominant male. There is another aggressive male in the tank but his black edges arenít quite as noticeable.

I think the black edging is just him maturing and part of the process of turning blue. Heís changing by the day which is interesting to see!
    Last edited by Aiden123; 06-29-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    • 50 Gallon Black Water Asian Project: 15 x Sparkling Gourami, 16 x Kuhli Loaches and 45 Chili Rasbora

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here a neon to keep you company XD - genocidex   Nice tank, fish, and shrimp! - Slaphppy7   Sorry for your loss - Slaphppy7   For the loss of your fish. - steeler58   For the loss of your fish. - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
    Try placing the shade flat on the table, and then poistion the container next to each colour. Hopefully you get a better match
    Thanks for the tip. Iíll give this a try next time.
    • 50 Gallon Black Water Asian Project: 15 x Sparkling Gourami, 16 x Kuhli Loaches and 45 Chili Rasbora

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads.html

Whatever the reading, I'd do a WC to bring those trAtes down
    Water change done

Iíll retest later and see where the nitrates are at.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yep. They do wonders to help keep nitrates down between WCs and also can eliminate algae in competing for nutrients. They are crazy hogs!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden123 View Post
    He’s is most dominant male. There is another aggressive male in the tank but his black edges aren’t quite as noticeable.

I think the black edging is just him maturing and part of the process of turning blue. He’s changing by the day which is interesting to see!
    Really cool. I'm learning about this with you, I don't even know what the end product is, so really interesting.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Really cool. I'm learning about this with you, I don't even know what the end product is, so really interesting.
    If all goes well, the end product is this:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Water change done

I’ll retest later and see where the nitrates are at.
    How much water did you change out with the WC? Any nitrates in your source water? In my planted tanks, nitrates stay at 0ppm. My tanks are not stocked like yours, but you'd be surprised how much some floating plants or simple pothos can take out of the water.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If all goes well, the end product is this:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4517ba052.jpeg
    OMG wow!!!! So beautiful :) I can't wait to watch them transform!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    How much water did you change out with the WC? Any nitrates in your source water? In my planted tanks, nitrates stay at 0ppm. My tanks are not stocked like yours, but you'd be surprised how much some floating plants or simple pothos can take out of the water.
    I did a 35% water change. Didnít want to do a massive one since the fish havenít been in my water long. Going to keep doing daily changes until the nitrates settle.

My tap water does have 5-10ppm nitrate already though which isnít helpful.

I did fill my third canister filter with biohome ultimate. This media claims to provide an environment for anaerobic bacteria deep inside the media to convert nitrate into nitrogen which then gases off. The process however apparently takes a few months to get going. Whether this is true or not I donít know. I hope it does so it will kind of help with the nitrates in the tap water.

Will give the pothos a try and if it doesnít work, will just have to increase water change frequency.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That's interesting about the anaerobic bacteria in the filter media. I'd have to refresh my memory on how that works to convert nitrate to nitrogen gas. I have anaerobic bacteria in my dirted tanks. When disturbing it, I see bubbles erupting from 2" and higher substate beds. I release it now and then by poking the substate with a skewer, oxygenating it. The bubbles float up and gas off above water and smells like sulfur. I was under the impression these bubbles are not toxic to the fish, since they almost immediately gas off (unless a small fish swam into a bubble maybe), but I forget how anaerobic bacteria affects nitrate.

But do give the pothos a try :) They'll clean your air too win-win. And look nice too!

I like this one too
    https://www.landcraftenvironment.com...egory_Code=202
    -Kat

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast