· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Default Porcelain Crab Filter Feeding

4 Not allowed!
    I chose to upload this as black&white to help enhance the contrast and better see the details of the fans.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    that is way cool, i had no idea they fed that way.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, they're nifty little creatures, for sure. I have three of them but they are extremely skittish so it's a treat when I catch one on video.

Despite their name, they are actually a relative of squat lobsters and not true crabs. They look like crabs, but they only have three pairs of walking legs and very long antennae. They also have an abdomen (the part you are eating when having lobster "tail"), but they keep it folded up under their bodies. I've read that they will extend their abdomens for locomotion, but so far I have not witnessed that in my tank.

I was immediately drawn to them due to my affinity for the freshwater bamboo shrimp. I had a lovely pair of bamboo shrimp in one of my freshwater setups but they passed away after a couple years.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Just read an article in a back issue of TFH about some of the newer available species and color morphs of freshwater shrimp, Crayfish and crabs. There seems to be a lot more available now days. It is nice to have some options for inverts in the fresh but the marine varieties are simply stunning.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I love freshwater inverts but only kept the dwarf varieties like caridina, neos, amano, bamboo, etc. (and snails, of course). I would have loved to get a vampire/viper shrimp or a crayfish, but my wife got super creeped out and drew the line at the big fat bamboo I had haha

Have you seen pom pom crabs (marine) before? I've been wanting to get some but I haven't looked into whether they would be compatible with the other animals in my tank. If you're not familiar with them, check out some vids online. They hold little tiny anemones in their claws and use them as defense and also to mop up food off the rocks and stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Pom Poms are interesting all right but I do not know anything about them other than the little bits and pieces I have read. here is a link to them on liveaquaria. https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...c=497+501+1474

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My concern is that I already have quite a few crabs and shrimp and I am not sure if they are going to be cramped if I put in another couple of crustaceans. I'm currently in the process of setting up a bigger tank than my current one, and it will have lots more rockwork and places to hide. I think once that one is up and running I will be ok in adding some pom poms. I love their little cheerleader dance.

weNDUGz.gif