· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default safe for cichlids

0 Not allowed!
    My tank has mainly lake mawali cichlids. I had put several snails in for cleanup and I just like them. They started dying, and I had never seen any of my fish the least bit interested in them. This morning, I caught my yellow Acei slowly biting off the shell. I took the remaining snails out.

Are there any invertebrates that my fish won't eat? Obviously they like crustaceans, or , at least the Acei does.
    When ever there is any trouble in the tank, he is always at the bottom of it.

I do have a petricola cat, but he is a juvenile and doesn't really get very far. Are shrimp safe? Also, since I really don't like the idea of my snails being slowly nibbled on, does anyone know of an aquarium cage that the remaining snails can move in without the fish getting in?

Thanks
    marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    shrimp are not safe in a cichlid tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Any type of invert will be eaten, even larger crayfish are vulnerable until the new shell hardens after they molt. Bristlenose pleco is the best bet for algae on the glass. Also, Synodontis petricola and/or lucipinnis are social species, best kept in groups of at least 5.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have had few pelcos in my malawi tank and they never survived. Altho they were small when I purchased them. A slightly large one could probably survive and Synodontis njassae, Synodontis grandiops, Synodontis lucipinnis, Synodontis multipunctatus
    Last edited by Riyadh; 05-23-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    if it is the algae you are concerned about you could possibly try some of the Algae scraping cichlids from the rift lakes. possibly Tropheus if you have enough rm and no compatibility issues. also as Riyadh mentioned Synodontis sp.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Once you get some plants growing out of the tank, they should help cut down on algae too.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Now that you've gathered excellent on-topic advice in your thread, I wanted to chime in and comment on your comment here:
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    (…)

When ever there is any trouble in the tank, he is always at the bottom of it.
    Which cracked me right up! and you spoke of trouble with such a familiarity... made it sound like there may be some stories to tell. Might you be willing to share tales of his antics?

I am sorry to hear about the poor snails, though. I hope you won't take my request as heartless or cold or anything. I do enjoy hearing about the behaviors of individual fish, and particularly those which I know I will never be able to keep personally.

If you are not inclined to share tales, I apologize for the interruption of your thread.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    No need to apologize. I just have weird fish. I was afraid I'd get back an answer that said there were no safe inveretibrates.
    My Petricolacat is only about two inches. I also have a 1.25" congo black calvus. For some reason, those two are completely ignored by the other fish and have been thee over a month. Even during feeding time when the calvus is right in the middle of food fights, they just ignore him. Riversgirl, that same yellow Acei is a pig. As a treat, I occasionally put one square of freeze dried brine shrimp on the underside of one cave. He is always first and fills his mouth til his cheeks puff out, spits out the extra and goes back under the cave and repeats the process. He looks like he has the mumps.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Once you get some plants growing out of the tank, they should help cut down on algae too.
    IME Malawi cichlids will eat just about any live plants in the tank.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    . He is always first and fills his mouth til his cheeks puff out, spits out the extra and goes back under the cave and repeats the process. He looks like he has the mumps.
    hahaha! Such manners and everything -- that must crack you up to watch, every time! Reminds me of a toddler licking all the treats on the platter to 'claim' them. Silly fish indeed.
    Thank you for sharing your view.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow