· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Nutritious fish foods

1 Not allowed!
    I want to create a list of nutritous fish foods worth rotating for a staple diet. I'm interested in pellet foods for my angelfish, rams and tetras. I feed other foods like freeze-dried, frozen types and gel foods, but on more on occasion. I feed my plecos various algae and veggie disks and blanched veggies at night so the angelfish leave them hopefully along to eat. I've read several helpful threads here on nutritious foods and supplements, so this time I'm looking for strictly easy to grab and feed pellet food please

I do realize different fish require different nutrients. My rams probably need more veggie than angelfish, tetras probably don't require as much protein as cichlids. That's a main reason why I like to rotate the staple fish foods I mostly feed every day, every time.

The pellet foods I already use and recommend are New Life Spectrum, North Fin, Omega One and Fluval bug bites and Dainichi veggie (once a week) in different pellet sizes to accommodate certain fish.

I also have a few Hikari types. Like for example, Sinking Cichlid Gold miniature wafers. The pellet size is ok for all my fish sizes, but are best suited for my rams and tetras. I'll give the angelfish some large pellets too at feeding time with this because the pellets are a bit too small and I want the angels to get enough. I have to add too many to feed all the fish. I bought the food specifically for my rams, I thought it was a good choice. But when I read the ingredients, I wasn't too impressed. Although fish meal is the number one protein, wheat and corn are second. Even with dog food, I shy away from corn as an ingredient.

Thoughts on Hikari?

Any other good nutritious pellet foods out there that I could consider?

I live in Canada and have to consider shipping costs for some of the foods like Ken's foods and Angel Plus, but am still interested if there is something worth it for my fish. I don't have a problem with my fish eating anything lol, I just am looking for healthy foods foods and not 'treats'.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 05-22-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    You use mostly what I use plus some others. I found a retailer on Amazon that has a great selection of foods that my synos loved and the Cories go buggy for too. They have all sorts of stuff but their catfish type foods I have had phenomenal luck with.... I'll try and dig up a link or the brand name this evening at work... Might be worth looking at if it's available in Canada, I do believe the company is in Europe that makes it so the only source I can find is an Amazon retailer here in the states.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much! I would really appreciate that.

Digging in the old threads, because there are many, there are a couple reviews I need to look at again, but if there's a rare or new type pellet food out there, or one someone had had particular good experience with, I'm interested.

I have this old pellet food (kept in the freezer) from Tetra called MicroCrabs. My fish, ALL my fish have always gone crazy for it. It's probably crap, there's a ton of wheat and corn, but there is also cyclops, which I believe are very high in Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids which I consider a very good ingredient. Plus some interesting vitamins, but also a lot of color and preservatives.
    AND it's actually advised only 2-3 times a week, in conjunction with staple (nutritious) foods, so this is garbage (or a treat) because of the cyclops IMO.
    Photo_2018-05-22_07-44-04_PM.png
    I don't even know if it's still available, and I should probably throw out my jar, but the fish really do go crazy for it.

But I'm mostly looking for nutrition. Even the Repashy spawn&grow gel food is not a diet for regular fish since it's so high in fats. Makes me double think about feeding this to fry and breeding fish, am I feeding them french fries and burgers to fatten then up? Anyway, I suppose that's another subject....
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

4 Not allowed!
    that's not that good, it contains too much wheat, potato and soybean meal.

The best foods only have only one of the following to act as a binder, you don't want to see two or more of these:

wheat, soybean, potato starch

color enhancers are not necessary

pea and corn can cause digestive issues long term

Look for products that have switched to Naturox as a preservative, of which only two brands do this: New Life Spectrum line created this year and Northfin

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much :) The one binding agent rule helps a lot. I will throw out that jar.

One pellet food I'd like to feature is North Fin Krill Gold formula. I feed it less, but in rotation. It's pretty high in protein for some fish. Thoughts?

Here are the ingredients
    Screenshot_20180522-221702.jpg

http://petvalu.com/product/SCM01200/...d-1mm-northfin
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Fluval Bug Bites cichlid formula only uses one binder and has black soldier fly larvae as a first ingredient, but contains green peas.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/product...pellets-3-58oz

I did not know pea can cause long term digestive issues. Is it because the fish's body becomes dependant on all that fiber? I used to feed my plecos green peas, now I'm not sure...
    Is this something I should quit feeding my fish? They are a big hit and I don't feed this as often as NLS cichlid/discus, small fish and grow pellets, Omega One cichlid and community color pellets and NorthFin cichlid and community pellets, but I'm wondering if I should avoid it entirely?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Don't look at the protein percentage because a lot of fish food raised that through oils or other products like soy, pea, or gluten or concentrate. If you look at bug bites it contains a protein boost with the fish protein concentrate. It would be a good grow out food, but everyday longterm for adult fish, it can cause fatty liver disease (12.5% minimum fat content), which can show itself as fish that just die at around half their lifespan. Once a week with a couple days fasting would be fine. Just remember our fish are spending near the amount of calories getting food or running away from predators. It's like comparing calories burned between a construction worker and a computer programmer while at work.

a couple of articles about longterm issues with feeding peas
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27666681

Fish raised to be eaten are given food with pea concentrate to promote faster growth, not longevity of the fish. You will find many articles promoting pea concentrate because the aquaculture industry uses that ingredient as a cheap means to promote faster growth.

healthy red fish liver

http://www.pskf.ca/sd/

yellow fatty fish liver from farmed fish

http://www.vetcare.gr/ARTPRES/pics_s..._143_msw10.htm
    Last edited by Rocksor; 05-23-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much Rocksor. I'm happy to have that info and glad I started this thread. I have a quetion though, does PPC negatively affect growth rate? If so, I'm thinking Bug Bites is not a good food for grow out fish. If it wasn't for the PPC, would it be a good food?

There is so much to consider when it comes to to good fish nutrition, I'll stick with what I am using and glad to know Bug Bites are off the list of good nutritious fish foods.

So I'm editing my pellet food recommendations.
    NorthFin
    NLS
    Omega One

So some Hikari foods are good, but aything with corn or peas shouldn't be fed more than once a week or not at all?
    I have a lot of fish food to throw out. (Actually I've found old fish flakes to be a good food for feeder crickets)

Also, best before dates. I always thought to myself, it's best before, not spoiled after said date. But I'm sure certain nutrients and vitamins lose their potency over time. I also want to know if I should be freezing my fish food and just having what I'd feed in a few weeks out. I keep my fish food in a cool dry black container and seal individual food containers and packages well.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I find bug bites better than something like Hikari gold or Hikari algae wafers.

Personally, I wouldn't feed fish food that has corn (which also increases protein content) or pea more than once a week. I've avoided any food that has corn in it.

Best before means that they can guarantee the nutritional value of the food as shown on the label before that date when stored under cool temperatures (under 80F?) and closed. It can still spoil before that date if left open too long and the temperature that it is stored at too warm (warm enough to soften chocolate), and you can smell rancid fish food.

I don't freeze my food. I put the bulk of my fish food in the refrigerator door. I have a large pill container which I keep out in a cool dark area, and tend to refill it every week or 2, so basically I'm only opening the pill container every day.

Whenever, I buy fish food, I only buy enough for the year.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to post this info here. It's relating to fry foods.

Ground Freeze-Dried Krill – One of the most complete protein sources available along with growth-supporting, bio-available minerals. Krill boasts unsurpassed levels of bio-available Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFA) and Essential Fatty Acids (EFA). Astaxanthin, a carotenoide, is abundant in Krill. This natural immunostimulant also offers anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.
    Cyclop-eezeŽ – An engineered microscopic crustacean rich in Astaxanthin and Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFA).
    -Kat