· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravel changes

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Gravel changes

1 Not allowed!
    Iím pretty sure Iíve asked this before but I have the worst memory; also Iím unsure if this is where I should put this but nyrdd

Can I change my substrate 100% all at once without giving my bacteria colonies a heart attack?

I have a betta in a 10g tank and for a while I had live plants. Eventually I took those out because they were starting to cause more bad than good and Iím evidently not meant to be a plant mom.

Itís been months and Iím still getting plant matter out of my gravel, I get some every week when I do water changes and Iíve taken everything out and scrubbed it down a few times because of algae and then I still get it.

Iím getting to the point between algae growth and plant yucks of chucking everything and putting in new deco for him

So I wanted to change all the gravel to nip this in the butt for good but Iíve heard itís not good for bacterias

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You can change it out w/out worrying about your BB, as long as the tank is cycled, just keep an eye on params for several days afterward.

Consider using sand instead of gravel, it tends to stay cleaner, since there's no nooks and crannies for crud to build up.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

ďIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentĒ - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I guess my first question would be what type of filtration are you running? if you have biological filtration you should have some good bacteria growing there plus you could save some of the old substrate to seed the new. it sound like to me though that you may have too much organic matter causing the "algae" bloom and your plants that you did have could not compete. or the lighting spectrum was favoring the Algae instead of the plants. tell us a little bit about your set up, filtration, lights, feeding schedule etc? are there other fish present in the system? I am sure others here can help pin down what is going on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Are you sure it's algae? I'm just asking cuz if it's cyanobacteria, which can be hard to deal with and gets into the gravel, you won't want to save anything from the old setup.

Here's some info
    https://fishlab.com/blue-green-algae...ue-green-algae

I still have trouble distinguishing it from diatoms, I'm pretty sure I've had brown cyanobacteria as well, and I'm not sure it always has an odor. For cyano that collects between the substrate and glass, adding a strip of tape along the bottom to black it out can help. I also use hydrogen peroxide (h202) as a spot treament.

If you are sure it's algae and not bacteria, keeping the old substrate in "pantyhose" bags is a great way to keep as much bacteria as possible. Then you can remove the pantyhose wrapped gravel once the bacteria moves to the new substrate (a month or so).

Bacteria grows everywhere - on the tank walls, decoration, plants as well as substrate along with the filter. The bacteria would most likely favor the filter as a surface due to constant water movement, aeration and filter media designed to house BB. So although most of the bacteria might be in the filter, there is still some in the substrate and depending on your stocking, could make an impact changing it out all at once. I've done it before when I was first starting out and fish ended up with a bacterial infection (fin and tail rot). So as already mentioned, keep a close eye on water conditions whatever you choose to do. If it's Aries' tank, you'd probably be ok since it's so lightly stocked.

One more thing I'll mention, and I'm just throwing it out there, you could add probiotics to your tank. Not only does it out-compete algae, it can help inhibit cyanobacteria and other harmful pathogens.
    https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f.../#post-6415196
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 05-21-2018 at 05:29 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Are you sure it's algae? I'm just asking cuz if it's cyanobacteria, which can be hard to deal with and gets into the gravel, you won't want to save anything from the old setup.

Here's some info
    https://fishlab.com/blue-green-algae...ue-green-algae

I still have trouble distinguishing it from diatoms, I'm pretty sure I've had brown cyanobacteria as well, and I'm not sure it always has an odor. For cyano that collects between the substrate and glass, adding a strip of tape along the bottom to black it out can help. I also use hydrogen peroxide (h202) as a spot treament.

If you are sure it's algae and not bacteria, keeping the old substrate in "pantyhose" bags is a great way to keep as much bacteria as possible. Then you can remove the pantyhose wrapped gravel once the bacteria moves to the new substrate (a month or so).

Bacteria grows everywhere - on the tank walls, decoration, plants as well as substrate along with the filter. The bacteria would most likely favor the filter as a surface due to constant water movement, aeration and filter media designed to house BB. So although most of the bacteria might be in the filter, there is still some in the substrate and depending on your stocking, could make an impact changing it out all at once. I've done it before when I was first starting out and fish ended up with a bacterial infection (fin and tail rot). So as already mentioned, keep a close eye on water conditions whatever you choose to do. If it's Aries' tank, you'd probably be ok since it's so lightly stocked.

One more thing I'll mention, and I'm just throwing it out there, you could add probiotics to your tank. Not only does it out-compete algae, it can help inhibit cyanobacteria and other harmful pathogens.
    https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f.../#post-6415196
    I already suffered blue green algae- so Iím sure itís not that haha - it took me literally foreverrrr to get rid of it but Iím freee. I have decorations literally stained from it though so Iíve highly considered just chucking everything and starting over - but itís so expensive to decorate

Ye I just have one fish in this tank so Iím not super duper worried? Iíll have to try probiotics though :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    I guess my first question would be what type of filtration are you running? if you have biological filtration you should have some good bacteria growing there plus you could save some of the old substrate to seed the new. it sound like to me though that you may have too much organic matter causing the "algae" bloom and your plants that you did have could not compete. or the lighting spectrum was favoring the Algae instead of the plants. tell us a little bit about your set up, filtration, lights, feeding schedule etc? are there other fish present in the system? I am sure others here can help pin down what is going on.
    Some of this is going over my head but Iíll try? Haha. Iíve got an aqua clear 20 running in a 10gal with just 1 Betta. Iíve got two bags of the bead thingies and a sponge. Lights run from 4:00-10:30, I have no idea what kind of bulbs the lights are because they just came in the tank setup I bought but when I bought it I told the guy I had plants I was trying to save.

Iíve since gotten rid of the plants so now itís all fake stuff; and I feed my Bettas every other day, twice a day :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoelFae View Post
    Some of this is going over my head but I’ll try? Haha. I’ve got an aqua clear 20 running in a 10gal with just 1 Betta. I’ve got two bags of the bead thingies and a sponge. Lights run from 4:00-10:30, I have no idea what kind of bulbs the lights are because they just came in the tank setup I bought but when I bought it I told the guy I had plants I was trying to save.

I’ve since gotten rid of the plants so now it’s all fake stuff; and I feed my Bettas every other day, twice a day :)
    I apologize for getting too technical. it certainly sounds like you have good filtration set up and are under stocked.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    from 4AM to 1030PM? or 4pm-1030pm? If you don't have plants, you might want lights on for 2 hours (6pm-8pm or 7pm-9pm). I don't even have lights above my tank, just a floor lamp on the other side of the room, and the ambient room light is good enough to view the fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    from 4AM to 1030PM? or 4pm-1030pm? If you don't have plants, you might want lights on for 2 hours (6pm-8pm or 7pm-9pm). I don't even have lights above my tank, just a floor lamp on the other side of the room, and the ambient room light is good enough to view the fish.
    4pm to 10:30pm and idk these are my first fishes so I never know when to have the lights on. I have to manually turn on my other Bettas lights and 90% of the time I forget

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Ambient light is enough for fish-only tanks. If the tank is near a window, that's more than enough light. Also, it's a good idea not to have any direct sunlight hitting the tank! If the tank IS near a window and you're still having algae after adjusting the photoperiod (how long the tank lights are on for), you might want to add a background or even a "sideground" (filter natural light coming in the sides of the tank) or use window blinds.

The tank light on a fish-only tank is for your viewing. I would dim the lighting if possible or use cut-up pieces of sheer plastic (like a cheap tablecloth) if you have LEDs. Other bulb types would melt the plastic. I use pink light filtering strips to dim undimmable fixtures, but blue would be nice as well.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat