· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breeding

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default breeding

0 Not allowed!
    Are petricola cats difficult to breed in captivity? The reason I ask is because I would like to get a second one, but don't want baby fish. If they breed easily in captivity, I won't get one. If it is very unlikely for them to breed in an aquarium, then I may et a second. Thenks

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Lol, I guess that's a no to a second petricola. I didn't expect that.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I had never heard of "brood parasitism" until I read that, lol

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I had never heard of "brood parasitism" until I read that, lol

What an interesting method! Dirty little tricksters, though -- gotta say.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I knew about, was not sure until i read it, but have encountered this before years ago. Cant remember if its the same fish or something different tho.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    They are smart little buggers. Mine has a routine. He waits until the light in the aquarium goes off and then does a dance. He swims in a big circle at the front of the aquarium from the top to the bottom. He does that for a good ten minutes, then settles down and starts to eat. If I were going to breed any of my fish, it would be petricola cats.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    It's not the petricola that are brood parasites, it's the slightly larger multipunctatus that does that trick. Perticola are egg scatterers, both the eggs and the fry are tiny ()about the size of large sand grains) and quickly eaten by other fish. If a few of the eggs happen to get sucked into a canister filter they may survive and grow out a bit in there, a few folks have found them that way. Otherwise, breeding them intentionally is best done with a specific setup for the purpose.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    "Unlike the majority of the genus, S. petricola is actually bred quite often in aquaria. It is usually an open spawning egg scatterer but it is also one of the few fish known to exhibit a method of spawning known as brood parasitism."

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...tis-petricola/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think I will do without a second petricola cat. The last thing I need is babies. He is one of my favorites, but my tank can't hold more than I have right now a second tank is not an option. Quite the expensive hobby these fish are. I don't regret it, but I think the least expensive thing is the fish themselves!