· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    As much as I feel for the older generation having to work after all the hours they already put through, it still leaves less jobs for the younger generations. At my own employment, there were ppl there into their 70s. Those not because they have to, but because they want to. It honestly means nothing today to go to school and educate yourself when employers can hire someone with 10 years experience. And I'm just not going to get into priority hiring, but it certainly exists.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 05-18-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    As much as I feel for the older generation having to work after all the hours they already put through, it still leaves less jobs for the younger generations. At my own employment, there were ppl there into their 70s. Those not because they have to, but because they want to. It honestly means nothing today to go to school and educate yourself when employers can hire someone with 10 years experience. And I'm just not going to get into priority hiring, but it certainly exists.
    Funny the difference in usa vs nz.
    Retirement 67?? 65 in nz. Though most trades or higher end paid jobs quite around 60 and budget through on savings, or live in Vietnam or tailand for 11 month and 30 days come home and head over.

More jobs than you can poke a stick at mostly around 40-60hrs a week on yearly incomes of around 35-75k here. But virtually no one to take the jobs. The youth we can't find. When i mean you can't find them its like they dnt exist or apply for the jobs at all. And the middle age bracket has started to vanish over seas or self employment making a spectrum for few mid 20's and a ton of 50-60's.

Be funny what happens in a few years. At the rate we are at i bet the Indians and Chinese and Japanese Filipino Indonesians and Australians will fill the void.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Part of the reason that people in their 60s and 70s can still work is because it's now illegal to fire someone or force them to retire merely because of their age. That's ageism, and it falls into the category of illegal discrimination. Part of it is also because employers are finally coming to realize that workers who are older bring a lot more experience to a company, and usually are better workers because they have an older-fashioned work ethic, i.e., they're more reliable.

However, if someone is still working at that age simply because they want to and don't have to, that is unfair to younger people trying to get started in the workforce. If they don't have to work, they should relinquish their positions so a younger person can have a fair chance. But that's only good if an employer is willing hire someone without all of that experience and TRAIN them.

What galls me is inside hiring. A company will place a help wanted ad in their local newspaper, misleading folks in the community into believing they have a job opening for a qualified applicant when, all along, they have no intention of hiring anyone outside of the company. Instead, they promote someone already employed with them into that position, depriving good people on the outside of a fair and equal opportunity to work for them. The person taking that job already had a job, and was already receiving a paycheck. Now, they may be getting paid more, but at the same time, someone out in the community who thought they had a decent chance finds out they never had any chance, at all. As far as I'm concerned, that's false advertising, but it happens all the time around here. It should be illegal, as any other false advertising is -- but companies get away with it.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Part of the reason that people in their 60s and 70s can still work is because it's now illegal to fire someone or force them to retire merely because of their age. That's ageism, and it falls into the category of illegal discrimination. Part of it is also because employers are finally coming to realize that workers who are older bring a lot more experience to a company, and usually are better workers because they have an older-fashioned work ethic, i.e., they're more reliable.

However, if someone is still working at that age simply because they want to and don't have to, that is unfair to younger people trying to get started in the workforce. If they don't have to work, they should relinquish their positions so a younger person can have a fair chance. But that's only good if an employer is willing hire someone without all of that experience and TRAIN them.

What galls me is inside hiring. A company will place a help wanted ad in their local newspaper, misleading folks in the community into believing they have a job opening for a qualified applicant when, all along, they have no intention of hiring anyone outside of the company. Instead, they promote someone already employed with them into that position, depriving good people on the outside of a fair and equal opportunity to work for them. The person taking that job already had a job, and was already receiving a paycheck. Now, they may be getting paid more, but at the same time, someone out in the community who thought they had a decent chance finds out they never had any chance, at all. As far as I'm concerned, that's false advertising, but it happens all the time around here. It should be illegal, as any other false advertising is -- but companies get away with it.
    Here once retirement age is hit the boss's tend to kick you out. Although laterly that trend has stoped due to limited youth rates available to work.

As for in house deals for hiring and promotion happens here. But generally speaking not through advertisement. More wink wink nudge nudge in the work place. Comes down to who you know in nz as to your pay and what you do.

Still our biggest issue is youth. If you get them there is a high high chance they are a complete waste of time, thats if you can actually get them or any responce to a advertisement for staff wanted. Staff poaching has turned into massive thing now days in nz. Bribes higher wages and under the table cash deals, perks or incentives just to get staff.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I completely agree. How is one to gain experience with that type of work if no one is willing to give chances. I was fortunate enough that when I got out of prison my boss gave me a chance been with him now 3 years and still going strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    While this begs a question about fairness, common sense would be to hold off starting a family until one is able to afford supporting one on the paycheck one is getting. That might mean waiting awhile longer before having kids or even getting married (among those who still do, these days), and certainly NOT have four of them if even combined incomes prove inadequate. Minimum wage jobs are mainly for those first entering the work force. They aren't meant to be permanent. One gains experience, a good work ethic, perhaps more education, then goes on to better paying work.

It also means living frugally for awhile and saving as much money as possible. Hard to do with four kids. One might have to forego the latest electronic gadget or the high-end vehicle or pricey fashion statement for the purpose of building a solid future in which a family living comfortably is possible.

So many folks want everything NOW. By the time they obtain it, it's often obsolete, so where has their money gone?

We just aren't as patient as a society as we once were. I think it's because we've become so fast-paced, we demand instant gratification, and that can be expensive.

On the flip side, employers need to be more fair in hiring and paying their people. Nearly all companies today demand experienced people right from the get-go, and so few are willing to train, anymore. That isn't fair, either. One can't acquire experience unless SOMEONE is willing to hire them without it and TRAIN them. That actually can be a better deal for companies, because when they train a new person, they can start out training them their way, which can be easier than trying to undo the training from previous employment which has become a habit with the worker, if it is incompatible with how the new employer does things or wants them done.

I used to see lots of help wanted ads that gladly offered to train, "no experience necessary". Of course, not all of them held true to their word on that, but most did. Now, all I ever see is "experienced only need apply". How does THAT get a newcomer anywhere in the job market?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    This world needs more people like you. Everyone seems to care more about what everyone else is doing and how much more they are making then them. They don't even stop to consider how they can make situations in their lives better. Like someone else has said in here, technology has ruined us. People care more about their gadgets and themselves then they do about the people around them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I've said this before about living in this country. No one here is happy unless they feel they are "Keeping up with the Jones'." I think living in this Electronics Era plays into this significantly as people are almost forced to see what they don't have every time they open their eyes.

I'm a single mom, I make a decent living. I buy my new cars a couple years used when they cost 60% less and have 30k miles with another 150k+ left in them. I don't own a computer anymore even though I'm a computer engineer by education as I can do everything I need on my phone after having to have a top end smart phone for work for several years. I have an IRA I contribute to myself, a couple 401k accounts I've merged together from previous jobs, a stock trading account I fund myself and a college savings for my son I fund. All while I make a house payment, a car payment all the other things that are necessary and support my hobbies. I get no assistance nor do receive any child support. I also paid/am paying for my college education while raising my kiddo and working in law enforcement. I do this on not a lot more than people demand as a living wage from jobs that require no education nor skills. I save for what I need, I do without things that I want so my son can play sports and have things to lead him to be a healthy, happy and responsible adult. I waited till I was almost 30 to have kids. I'm also a vet and have never taken an ounce of care or funding from those benefits available but have spent countless hours helping homeless, vets, kids in the foster system and domestic violence victims get the help they need. I'll probably work until I'm dead but I hope to do so in a career I enjoy with friends and family that I love. And because I have goals I consider myself lucky. I believe having a goal is important to becoming successful and although I've failed 1000 times to achieve goals in the past I take it as a lesson learned, stick it in the knowledge pocket and keep trying to improve.

Do I like where I am or what I am currently doing in life? No, not really.... But it's more than just a means to an end, it's a necessity and it's a learning experience and I don't dwell on what I don't like I consider where it will bring me in relation to my goals.