· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Red Cherry Shrimp Suggestions Needed

1 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I used to keep fish, but college made it hard to do. Now that all I have left is student teaching and I will have my own apartment I am thinking of getting back into it.

I am thinking of getting Red Cherry Shrimp with black gravel with maybe a few plants. I am looking for suggestions on tank size, I am thinking either 5.5 gallons or 10 gallons. I do not want to go much bigger than 10 gallons as I will be moving again after next school year.

I do not really think I should have fish yet as I may be gone over winter break for up to around two weeks. I will hopefully have someone to feed them during that time. But if anyone has good fish suggestions I'd be intrested too.

I will need to get a shrimp cover guard for my filter intake, but otherwise, I plan on using my old filter and heater from my 29-gallon tank. Is there any concern with that in such a smaller tank? Anything else I'll need.

What do you feed Red Cherry Shrimp? How often?

I will need to get another test water kit and read up on how to do a fishless water cycle.

Thank you!
    29 Gallon: 6 Zebra Dianos, Albino BN Pleco, Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome back to the AC

5.5G is fine for RCS, but 10G would work as well, you could even have some nano fish with the RCS if you go that big

What size/model is the old filter?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    If you got some nano fish, the feeding of the shrimp would take care of itself. They would simply scavenge whatever the fish fail to eat, off of the substrate. They also pick microscopic stuff off of plant leaves. Whenever I feed my fish, I never have to worry about my shrimp. They're always up and about, going after whatever they can get. They can also pick algae off the glass. Once the tank is established, shrimp can usually find something to eat. If you're only going to keep shrimp, try New Life Spectrum's "small fish" formula. The pellets are tiny enough for shrimp to eat, and will also serve nano fish well, should you decide to add them. Fry food might also work for shrimp.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the replies. I will check filter type when I get home Monday.

I've never had nano fish, any recommendations?

I've always used gravel substrate, is sand easier to clean? I've always thought it would get messier but I think I like the look better.
    29 Gallon: 6 Zebra Dianos, Albino BN Pleco, Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Sand is MUCH easier to keep clean, IME.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Gravel is easier to clean. Pea-sized gravel still looks nice, and when siphoning with a cylinder attached to the end of the hose, some gravel will be picked up but remains in the cylinder while all the debris go up into the hose and the bucket. Then the clean gravel drops back down when the siphon is moved to a different location in the tank. Gravel itself is heavy enough it doesn't go all the way up into the hose, so you don't have to fish it back out of the bucket to return it to the substrate. Otherwise, one would lose much of their substrate during the siphoning process. Sand may be a different story. It's light enough that siphoning it without losing much of it may be difficult.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've only one experience with gravel as a substrate, and it wasn't pea-sized, but on average not much bigger

Gravel of any sort will hold more detritus than sand...doesn't make it unusable, just a bigger PITA to vacuum, IME

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Cherry shrimp (and other similar species) do best with an air-driven sponge filter. A bit of Najas aka guppy grass would be good. Sand substrate is easier to clean, though shrimp don't really poop enough to worry about cleaning up after. I had a 10 gallon tank that housed hundreds of them at one time. I started feeding them dead water lily leaves from the backyard pond and hydra came along with them. Unfortunately, I used copper sulfate to kill the hydra, and some was absorbed by the silicone in the tank and very slowly leached back out over time. It didn't kill the shrimp outright, but they stopped reproducing, and even adding fresh stock didn't stop the gradual decline in their numbers. Oddly enough, the malaysian trumpet snails were unaffected, apparently the shrimp are more sensitive.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    If the filter and heater from your old 29g were properly sized for that tank, I would say they'll be much too large for a 5.5g tank, possibly OK for 10g. Just depends what you have. Something to consider is the Fluval Spec V, all in one tank - a very neat little tank. If needed, a small heater could be added to the pump compartment, but in many cases, shrimp only may not even need a heater.

Otherwise, as said above, a sponge filter would be perfect for a small tank, even if you add a few nano fish.