· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Chili Rasabora

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Chili Rasabora

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All. I just had my first look at the Chili Rasabora, Boraras brigittae in a back issue of TFH and was kind of blown away. I had never seen this species before but i had heard of them. I have never been that interested in Rasaboras in the past but recently I have been considering them since I am setting up a smaller 10 g aquarium. I thought these little guys would fit the bill pretty good. I have started to research them a bit but would like you kind folks on AC's thoughts on this species?

thank you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    They are fun little fish and if you mind the water parameters, they should do well. They do prefer very soft and acidic waters since they come from peat swamps. Lots of leaves would be good since they are so bitty the micro flora are good eats for them.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with 4 chilis, green endlers & Bloody Mary shrimp and 2nd with blue star endlers and Blue Dream shrimp
    Four-27 gallon tubs, 1st w/ BN plecos; 2nd w/ gouramis, rainbow fish, kuhli, dojos and female endlers; 3rd w/ albino corys, pepper cory, panda corys; 4th is 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    They are fun little fish and if you mind the water parameters, they should do well. They do prefer very soft and acidic waters since they come from peat swamps. Lots of leaves would be good since they are so bitty the micro flora are good eats for them.
    I have never had any experience with using leaves in the aquarium I could picture something similar to what Waylon101 posted in the journal section under amazonian Lagoon. how do you deal with leaves and what kind is best to use?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    There's lots of leaves that are safe to use, here's a good article on leaves in the aquarium

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm

Personally, i like IAL (Indian almond leaves) the best, many proven benefits for the tank and fish health, and the remnants are easy to remove when replacing with fresh ones

Here's the ones I always buy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9GI2IK...oding=UTF8&me=

There's many interesting and beneficial botanicals you can use in your tanks, check this site: https://tanninaquatics.com/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    There's lots of leaves that are safe to use, here's a good article on leaves in the aquarium

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm

Personally, i like IAL (Indian almond leaves) the best, many proven benefits for the tank and fish health, and the remnants are easy to remove when replacing with fresh ones

Here's the ones I always buy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9GI2IK...oding=UTF8&me=

There's many interesting and beneficial botanicals you can use in your tanks, check this site: https://tanninaquatics.com/
    wow, great information. I had no idea.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, tannins are very beneficial to the ecosystem within most freshwater setups...as well as decomposing leaf/botanical matter, that helps grow microorganisms snail fish/snails/shrimp love to nibble on

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Free food!

I like oak leaves too. I tried magnolia leaves but they went bad fast so I would recommend for terrestrial not aquatic use.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with 4 chilis, green endlers & Bloody Mary shrimp and 2nd with blue star endlers and Blue Dream shrimp
    Four-27 gallon tubs, 1st w/ BN plecos; 2nd w/ gouramis, rainbow fish, kuhli, dojos and female endlers; 3rd w/ albino corys, pepper cory, panda corys; 4th is 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    See, I tried oak leaves, but the were just too messy for me...broke up into a million little pieces

I like how the IAL's remain intact, with just the "skeleton" or veins of the leaf remaining after it breaks down, easy to remove when time to replace

But some people like that "littered" look with pieces everywhere, just personal preference I guess

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Never had oak leaves crumble when wet, true you don't get the nice leaf skeleton like IAL do.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   

3 Not allowed!
    I use maple leaves and they fall apart compared to IALs, but I don't mind the litter look in some of my tanks. At the moment, I'm watching for parasites, so I have my leaves in pantyhose media bags in the filter output. The fish can't nibble on the microorganisms, but the water stays nice with tannin.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat