· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    How long have acrylic tanks been around for?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    How long have acrylic tanks been around for?
    Came out around 1970s, and if I read fissh's comment correctly, the acrylic tank pictured is 38 years old.

Something I forgot about acrylic, it maintains heat better than glass, so an equivalent sized acrylic tank will not drop in temperature as often or as fast as a glass tank.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 05-14-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    I had no idea they are around for that long! I'm surprised glass tanks are still being sold and the price is not more affordable. Wish I knew about acrylic tanks when I got my 120g. Hmm.......

Do they all have that lid? Can it be removed without compromising integrity to scape and clean the tank?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Brand new acrylic tanks come with a cover for the main cutouts, generally just a little bigger than the cut out, however not any for the rectangular round cut outs in the back. Some acrylic tanks come with a cover than is part of the light assembly.

Regular glass tanks are generally at least 50% cheaper than the same size acrylic tanks, hence the reason for glass tanks still being around.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm surprised acrylic tanks are still so costly to produce, or the cost of purchase is still 50% higher than glass. I could have missed it, but I never looked into acrylic as an option. I never noticed a seamless large tank at the LFS. Small tanks, yes, but not large tanks.

So I have a Fluval 7.9g (or something) cube. It has rounded corners in the front but there is glue bonding the back panel which is straight. So is my tank considered acrylic? What about bowfront? Acrylic fronts bonded to glass sides for a cheaper more updated look?

I'm very interested in acrylic now.....

Edit: ok, it's something else not found here. All the small tanks are acrylic, but none of the bigger ones (whatever that means). I cannot even order one. I have a feeling if I could, it would be a lot more than 50% the cost of glass. would not trust myself to DIY this.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 05-14-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Well, I'm surprised acrylic tanks are still so costly to produce, or the cost of purchase is still 50% higher than glass. I could have missed it, but I never looked into acrylic as an option. I never noticed a seamless large tank at the LFS. Small tanks, yes, but not large tanks.

So I have a Fluval 7.9g (or something) cube. It has rounded corners in the front but there is glue bonding the back panel which is straight. So is my tank considered acrylic? What about bowfront? Acrylic fronts bonded to glass sides for a cheaper more updated look?

I'm very interested in acrylic now.....

Edit: ok, it's something else not found here. All the small tanks are acrylic, but none of the bigger ones (whatever that means). I cannot even order one. I have a feeling if I could, it would be a lot more than 50% the cost of glass. would not trust myself to DIY this.
    Acrylic is a product made with petroleum, so the higher gas prices go the higher tank prices go. Most acrylic tanks, 100 gallons or less are made in a elongated "U" shape with the front and sides being one piece and the back being a flat piece that's glued to the "U". A 125 gallon and larger are not made with round corners most if the time. The tanks can be made with very large top openings if you increase the thickness of the acrylic (very costly). Some of the first acrylic tank were made in the late 1960's, I bought my first acrylic tank in 1971 and it was a used 55 gallon. My other tanks at that time were metal frames and some had slate bottoms. The acrylic tanks looked like space ships compared to those. In those days acrylic was a lot cheaper than glass at my store I was selling 55 gallon to 240 gallon for a dollar a gallon. Wow has that changed! All the larger tanks I have in my home are acrylic because I've helped clean up the messes you've all heard about. If you're having trouble finding a tank, a used acrylic is a good bet if it's been maintained properly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Wow tx fissh! That is a great answer :) Always nice to hear it from someone whose been working with the hobby. I bet they looked like space ships compared to metal framed and slate bottomed tanks! Very interesting to learn about how things were before I took up the hobby. I often wonder what it was like way back, before aquarium plants were a thing, and the different types of fish that were often kept.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for the feedback!