· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Atya gabonensis/Giant Blue Wood Shrimp

1 Not allowed!
    Hello.

Any information/experience out there with this species of shrimp? A quick Google search contained several different names, like Viper shrimp, Vampire shrimp, African fan shrimp, African filter shrimp, and many more. These guys look like a very interesting shrimp species to keep. They seem to be "filter" feeders, feeding on tiny food particles floating around in the water. Would one or two be a good companion in a 40 gallon community tank? Evidently they can get quite large, up to 6" in length!!
    My First Aquarium Adventure - 40B Community Tank: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Cool, I've seen viper shrimp before, they look intriguing. I have bamboo filter feeding shrimp, I set up a gentle powerhead for them. They get situated on a plant or DW in the flow and spread their net paws to catch particles. They need appreciate the flow. I read if they are seen picking at the substrate, they are not happy shrimp.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I tried a viper shrimp once in my 29G, but he didn't live very long, for some reason...got him from TWS, too

I currently have 4 bamboo shrimp in my 40B, and like them alot
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 05-09-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I have had two of these, very secretive IME. They found a hole inside dome DW and hid there for there lifespans. With the manzanita yours may stay out. One was black and the other blue.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Cool I'll have to look into the bamboo shrimp. Do those get very big? I currently have RCS in my 40B but was wanting another shrimp a little bigger.

TWS offers "Singapore Shrimp" would that be similar to Bamboo Shrimp by any chance?
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 05-09-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    My bamboo shrimp are currently 3". They are housed in my 90g with angelfish and BN plecos. The fish don't bother with them.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    Cool I'll have to look into the bamboo shrimp. Do those get very big? I currently have RCS in my 40B but was wanting another shrimp a little bigger.

TWS offers "Singapore Shrimp" would that be similar to Bamboo Shrimp by any chance?
    Yes, same thing, they go by many names....3 inches is about right for adult size

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Do the bamboo shrimp do best in large groups, or does it not really matter? I'd like to have at least 4 in my 40B.

Would it be a waste to pay for shipping expenses if I bought just 4 shrimp from TWS? Is overnight shipping strongly recommended for shrimp like it is with fish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'd rather get them overnight if I could, but 2 days probably wouldn't hurt.

Check here for pricing of theirs, shipping may be cheaper: https://aquaticarts.com/

My newest ones I bought from a place in Cali, but can't remember the name of the store...I have it at home on my email

They do fine alone or in groups

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!