· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: New LFS!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default New LFS!

4 Not allowed!
    So! I just caught wind of a new place opened up 200 miles the other way from me. They are willing to do custom order salt and fresh plus exotic animals for anything legal in the state! THAT is more like what I'm used to rather than all these platy, neon, Oscar joints around here. I'm kind of excited! I may have to find a way to squeeze a trip over there into my schedule this set of days off. I'd like to at the very least drop in, say hello and if they aren't too busy see if I can feel them out a bit on things. I'd love to support local, if you want to call a place 200 miles away local lol. Their focus is SW so I'm trying not to get too excited but their last arrivals list was fairly impressive in the FW department.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    It's great that a new venture like that is going bold from the get-go. We haven't had many new openings our side, but in my experience they tend to stick to the "bread-and-butter" types for quite a while before attempting anything exotic or expensive.

Either way it really does help to establish a good relation with your LFS's. They'll be happy to see a regular(ish) customer and know that you're not messing them around if you ever need to ask for stuff.

Give us an update when you get back!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    That's great news! The way we're so isolated around here, it's almost that far for me to get to either of the LFSs I use. Well worth it if they have good customer service and a nice selection, and are willing to order for you. Keep us posted.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    200 miles for me seems sooo far. But, if they're willing to special order and look like they take good care of their stock I guess it might be worth it if there's nothing else closer. At least you'd get to see the fish before buying which is a bonus and save on shipping costs.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    200 miles what way? I am in Utah.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    200 miles what way? I am in Utah.
    Haha towards Utah for the new one. It's in Elko, NV.... If you're anywhere near N NV it's called "Reefer Madness" on FB they are listed as "Reefer Madness 775". Looks like my best bet besides driving the 4+ hours into Sacramento.... I seriously don't want to THAT do for a LFS visit alone especially cause every time I drive in CA I get a ticket

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    Haha towards Utah for the new one. It's in Elko, NV.... If you're anywhere near N NV it's called "Reefer Madness" on FB they are listed as "Reefer Madness 775". Looks like my best bet besides driving the 4+ hours into Sacramento.... I seriously don't want to THAT do for a LFS visit alone especially cause every time I drive in CA I get a ticket
    hmm, I don't go that way too often. I am in the salt lake city valley. I will have to look them up. many of what I consider the best shops around here have closed their doors. it seem that the big box stores have pushed them out. there are a few places left but very few great stores who specialize in fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Reno lost their good one due to new exotic pet insurance requirement laws in the county... Like for hedgehogs even it's weird. But they have a SW place that added a few FW tanks and they, although very little selection, are impressively stocked as they don't carry the big box type fish though I do think they have a tank of glow fish. They only have about a dozen FW tanks and plus a couple African Cichlid tanks and a sorry looking plant tank. But they have a good QT process and not annoying staff. Nice Angels, beautiful Rummies, Apistos and some long fin albino BN last time I was there. Made me consider giving angels another shot, I always admired Platinums. And they have a stunning discus tank with juvies on display for sale. Some fancy patterns in it don't look farmed to my uneducated discus eyes lol