· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another discus for you. - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

Default Baby arowana stopped eating.

1 Not allowed!
    I bought a baby arowana six weeks ago. They were feeding them crickets at the lfs so i continued with some frozen blood worms i dried to have them floating. Arowana does not leave the surface...
    For six weeks it has been eating a lot, 8 to 10 small crickets plus the blood worms each day. It grew from 4 inch to six inch during these six weeks.
    The problem is that since two days it stopped eating anything. Am i worrying for nothing, is this normal or something is not right ?
    I tested the water and it is perfect. I change 50% of the water each week and keep the tank very clean.
    The fish is acting like it is searching for food even leaving the surface and going deep... Could it be that it was fed feeder fish before it got to the lfs ???
    Any idea ?
    100 gal. planted discus with driftwood
    55 gal. growing tank for discus
    40 gal. nursery for discus

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I have not had any experience with Arowana's except what i have read. the one thing that comes to mind for me just thinking about predator fish in general is that in the wild they usually do not eat every day. sometimes maybe only weekly depending on the fish species and age though i would think that a baby would need to eat more frequently. I have also read that Arowana's sometimes go on hunger strikes. what water parameters have you tested? hopefully someone else with more experience here can shed some more light on the issue.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  Here's a fast-growing plant. - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    I have never kept one of those types of fish myself, but here's some general advice until an expert steps in. In my experience, fish get "bored" if you only feed them one type of food every day. You only mentioned 2 floating foods, maybe try something that sinks? I sometimes will dig up a few small earthworms out of my garden, rinse them off and feed them to my fish. If you don't want to risk transmitting disease, you could get frozen food of some sort. You said it was swimming down deep, that seems to me that it is a little tired of one food. I have to do this all the time with my fish when they don't want to eat.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another discus for you. - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your advice. I moved the arowana in a bigger tank (120 gal.) in case it was bored. I tryed some other pellets and some small feeder fish and it is still not eating. It is the fifth day of starvation and i'm worrying it might never eat again...

I think i will go to the lfs see what they have to say about it.
    100 gal. planted discus with driftwood
    55 gal. growing tank for discus
    40 gal. nursery for discus

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discus lover View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I moved the arowana in a bigger tank (120 gal.) in case it was bored. I tryed some other pellets and some small feeder fish and it is still not eating. It is the fifth day of starvation and i'm worrying it might never eat again...

I think i will go to the lfs see what they have to say about it.
    not a bad plan if you have someone knowledgeable close by. I certainly hope he starts eating soon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Me too, good luck with the little guy. I don't know a thing about arowana, but hopefully the LFS will know best. Have you called them to ask?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    Considering the growth spurt in 6 weeks, it is unlikely bored with it's food, and is just not hungry. Find out how often it was fed, since I doubt they feed the arowana everyday like you did.

How did you dry the frozen blood worms? With a food dehydrator? In the refrigerator? Letting it air dry, can produce unwanted bad bacteria on the food and infect your fish, especially if you have no experience in creating jerky or dehydrated food for human consumption.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    +1 to both being not hungry due to gut loading and potential for bacteria in gut.

The other thing to mention is if you've been pounding it with food, you don't need to worry about it dying. We had some asian arowana come in last month and they're only now starting to eat. A fish like that won't die in a week. Try offering a hornworm or another most enticing worm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Any updates on the little guy?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  Here's a fast-growing plant. - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't be too worried, larger carnivorous fish often gorge themselves, then don't eat for up to a week. I wouldn't be too worried.