· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

Default 10 gallon native paludarium experiement

3 Not allowed!
    Well, first things first, long time no see, I hope everyone and their tanks are doing good.
    I currently have a 2.5 gallon Walstad type tank running, nothing in it besides a bunch of Crypt Wendtii and some scuds. About a month and a half ago i moved across town and im now within walking distance to a river that has a pretty large swamp beside it. Whenever i go down there i always check out the swamp and I've seen some small minnows that i assume are mosquitofish, a crawfish, and some fairly large amphipods that I've looked into and they look like Gammarus pulex, which get fairly large, around 20mm. I've been to this specifc swampy area before i know that it is dry for a couple months a year so i didn't want to do a full aquarium as I figured the plants wouldn't be particually fond of that.

So I think i am going to try a paludarium, I don't exactly know what I want to do with it but I wanted to document my ideas and such so here i am. If anyone had any insite on paludariums, particually native ones that would be very much appreciated.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    sounds like a fun idea, I am not sure what plants are native to your area that would be appropriate. what size are you thinking of doing? it would be interesting to see some of the native plants along with some native fish from the area. there are probably some darters and other minnow like fish around. not sure if mosquitofish would be a native or not but could be interesting anyway. if you had a big enough aquarium you could possibly do some of the smaller pan fish such as bluegill or pumpkinseeds and the such. I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say and to see your progress.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    woops I missed the fact that you already said it was a 10 gallon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

1 Not allowed!
    If I could find some darters I will definitely be putting a couple in there, I've kept darters before and they were one of my favorite fish, they are very interesting to watch.
    Still not sure on plants, I know there are a few different types of mosses that I've seen so will definitely be giving those a shot.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    I went and got some pictures of some plants that caught my eye and a couple of the area.
    sorry about the blurriness on some of them, my phone's camera loses alot of quality once I zoom in.
    IMG_20180504_170335.jpg
    IMG_20180504_170416.jpg
    IMG_20180504_171228.jpg
    IMG_20180504_171237.jpg
    Snapchat-20544996.jpg
    IMG_20180504_170316.jpg
    Snapchat-690845026.jpg
    These were on the side of the dock, not sure what they are but looks like it would make a nice addition.
    IMG_20180504_172730.jpg
    IMG_20180504_172744.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    This is kind of how i want to set up the tank.
    paludarium 1.jpg
    paludarium 2.jpg

I've also been thinking about doing a dry start for a week or two so that the plants will hopefully root in and hold the soil in place when i add the water

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I originally didn't plan on having a filter, but I've been thinking about having a waterfall type of thing, the only canister filter i know of that is small enough for this is the SunSun HW-603b. I was wondering if anyone has experience with that filter and knows if it has any sort of valve to control the water flow or if i will need to get one seperately.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Love your idea. A waterfall would keep emersed plant roots moist and allow moss to grow, I like the idea :) You could use a little waterfall powerhead with a tube attached instead of buying a canister filter especially if you weren't planning on a filter.

Like this one
    s-l300.jpg
    I saw some on eBay for ~7$
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That's a really good idea, i found this one on amazon with an adjustable water flow for $9
    https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Subm...ll%2Bpump&th=1
    The only tubing i could find that will fit it, if anyone knows where to get 0.33in or 0.51in tubing let me know.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ump+tubing+kit

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I would bring it with me to a hardware store or something, find a tube that fits it. The tubing sold by the foot.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat