· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angelfish info

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Red face Angelfish info

0 Not allowed!
    What do I need to know about angelfish if I want to get one in the future?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    There are a few people on the forum with angelfish (@angelcraze2), and you can take a look at the AC angelfish profile here:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/angelfish.php
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    The larger the tank the better. Go for a 5 foot minimum long tank if you plan to keep a shoal of more than 4.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

5 Not allowed!
    Hello there! Join me in my angelfish addition lol :)

What are you thinking about keeping? A school of angelfish or a pair? An angelfish-only or community tank? As mentioned, a large tank is needed for a group of angelfish, whereas I keep my pairs in 30-40 gallon tanks. It's important to remember when you're stocking a tank with angelfish, each angelfish will take up 10 gallons of water, I prefer 15 gallons for a mated pair. That doesn't leave much room for other species of fish unless you have a very large tank for them. A mated pair of angelfish is aggressive and will take half the tank for themselves as they protect their eggs. My angelfish don't usually do much damage to other fish, even smaller fish like tetras and rams, but a pair of angels can easily have every fish at the other end of the aquarium than their breeding site. Eggs can be removed, (even hatched elsewhere artificially), once eggs are removed, it gets calmer immediately, but healthy angelfish will breed every 12-14 days if eggs are removed, and in a community setting, it seems angelfish are always breeding.

The norm is to get a group of juvenile angelfish and let them grow up together regardless if you are keeping a pair or many angelfish. If you're looking for a pair, you would rehome the others once a pair is formed. For growing out a group of angelfish, I use 40 gallons. I feel tall tanks are more important for angelfish than the length. They need the depth to grow nice straight fins, and they always use the whole depth. Length becomes more important when other species of fish are kept with angelfish or more than a pair when a pair forms.

I'll let you answer the questions first, to avoid bombarding you with info lol. I don't know where to start!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    ^see, she knows her angels^
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking of getting a school of them and definitely an angelfish-only tank. Thank you so much for the advice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    save up for a 6 foot 180g tank or longer then.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Good advice^^

I keep 8 of my smaller angelfish (the pearscale strain I have doesn't grow too large) in my 90g without issues. I only have BN plecos with them. Larger angelfish like my blue stain are better in a group of 5 or 6 in my 120g. Be safe and get the largest tank so you're not limited in the future.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    save up for a 6 foot 180g tank or longer then.
    Agreed. If you buy a group you will almost never know the sex of all of them which will result in breeding and aggression. I know someone who tried to do six in a 6 foot 125 and that was not large enough.
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Another thing to consider is decor and territory. When I scape an angelfish tank, I make sure there is enough little seperate territories for each pair of angelfish. So if I anticipate 3 pairs, I make sure their are 3 nice little territories. When there are disagreements, I find blocking line of sight with tall plants or driftwood really helps to alleviate the aggression... I've had to add plants or rearrange hardscape more than once to accommodate the angels later as they matured (create more territories).
    Even when a pair housed by themselves gets into a dispute, I'll add a big fake plant (because they are easy to add) and the 'divider' works like an actual plastic divider every time lol.
    -Kat