· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Protomelas taeniolatus

0 Not allowed!
    after being out of the hobby for a while and then returning I have noticed that there have been some taxonomical changes. I was looking for what I knew as the red empress as a haplochromis species. I knew them before as Haplochromis similis. I found what was looking for under Protomelas taeniolatus. have they always been this and I was wrong about the name H similis? it looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

I did have some success in keeping and breeding this species in the early 90's and I can say a mature male in breeding condition is a sight to see. I kept one male to around 4 females

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Cichlid taxonomy, especially African cichlid taxonomy, has had a lot of shuffling since the 90's. A big reason for this was the tendency of scientists to lump pretty much every new African cichlid they came across (with that "haplochromine" shape, specifically, which there are many of) as a member of Haplochromis.

This of course does not reflect their true relationships with one another, even if many of the fishes previously in Haplochromis are still kept in the tribe Haplochromini. Other characters were looked at and considered, and new genera were erected to better group existing the existing and new taxa. To this day, however, there are still a number of cichlids that you will still find called "Haplochromis", although tentatively. Many authors acknowledge that they belong in other genera (or maybe even a new genus), but proper process (and research) needs to take place before they can confidently assign the species.

I'm not sure on the case of your Protomelas changing it's specific name, but I suspect that once it moved to a new genus, the specific name of similis could no longer be accommodated, likely due to another species already occupying that name. When I have time once I get back home, I can try confirm this.

There is a lot of reading to do if you're interested in the subject! Especially since genetic characters are now being considered.

Regards,
    ~ Tim Smith

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    thank you for your reply. I am just starting to get it all sorted out and look forward to the journey of learning all i can.