· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes they do need a looooot of rock and tiny crevices the chill out. I do however also love their pattern and i would love to keep them again if i could get them.
    They did great with Neolamprologus nigriventris and Leleupi
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   So very sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Happy Easter - Silbar   Because you always have an encouraging and kind word for everyone - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    This thread has lead me to look up articles to learn more about these fish. It has proved an interesting diversion to enjoy.

I'd like to hear more (about their behavior, or in general) from those who have kept them, if any of you are willing to share.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    before I had mine in a species set up I had them in a 240 G with a mix of african cichlids. there where Frontosa's, Electric yellow's, Haplichromis Similis and some other hap's. the original pair did a great job of raising fry up and protecting their territory. subsequent batches would also tend to the "family" territory and newer fry. I think that watching this behavior is what I fell in love with. when i do them again I will use a bit larger aquarium than the 30. unfortunately another 240 is out of the question at this point.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   So very sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Happy Easter - Silbar   Because you always have an encouraging and kind word for everyone - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you for sharing, bpete. Watching that sort of behavior would have me smitten too! (Particularly the interesting bit about subsequent generations tending the family territory.)

I will look forward to you getting another large tank sometime.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree, that is very interesting behavior.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with Bloody Mary and Rose shrimp and 2nd with Blue Dream shrimp
    Two-55 gallon tubs, 1st w/ 1BN pleco male, 3 clown pleco, gouramis, kuhli and female betta; 2nd w/female BN pleco, albino, panda and pgymy corys, and male betta.
    One tub with 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore