· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default "Other" South American cichlids?

0 Not allowed!
    By "other" I mean other than I've kept already.

I'm almost finished my internal parasite treatments and when I'm confident the worm is eradicated, it will be time for me to finally restock.

I've been considering other cichlids than just angelfish and rams. I haven't thrown out the idea of my 120g with multiple angelfish and rams, but I'm thinking about bigger cichlids too for a big tank. I like my planted tank, so I don't want to change it too much, but I'm looking at Rotkeil severums and electric blue acara specifically.

Rotkeil severum
    84038dd834abcba35eb9cc911481ad9d.jpg
    http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?threads/365726/
    It seems the Rotkeil stays smaller than the closely resembling red shoulder severum at 6-8 inches.

Electric blue acara
    Electric_Blue_Acara_1024x1024.jpg
    imperialtropicals.com/products/electric-blue-acara?variant=11636598657
    Same with the electric blue acara. It maxes out at 5 or 6 inches, whereas the original blue acara grows much larger.

I'm pretty sure space isn't a problem, I'm thinking two of each (with a pair of angelfish). I may have to change substrate to sand, add more flat rocks, secure plants as best as possible, but what are thoughts about me keeping larger cichlids that like to rearrange?

The most robust cichlids I've kept to date have been kribensis. What should I expect as far as digging goes?

Here's a pic of my tank
    20180421_201219.jpg
    The amazon swords are planted in pots, the rosette swords are in shallow buried pots. I'm hoping to grow a dwarf sag carpet in the foreground. I can weigh the Vals down with rocks.

I'm hoping to be able to still keep one pair of angelfish and a school or two of large tetras like hy511s and columbian tetras.

Anyone whose kept these any of these cichlids, do you think they'd be a consideration for me?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Let me try the electric blue acara link again
    https://www.aquariumdomain.com/adSoc...ic-blue-acara/
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    By "other" I mean other than I've kept already.

I'm almost finished my internal parasite treatments and when I'm confident the worm is eradicated, it will be time for me to finally restock.

I've been considering other cichlids than just angelfish and rams. I haven't thrown out the idea of my 120g with multiple angelfish and rams, but I'm thinking about bigger cichlids too for a big tank. I like my planted tank, so I don't want to change it too much, but I'm looking at Rotkeil severums and electric blue acara specifically.

Rotkeil severum
    84038dd834abcba35eb9cc911481ad9d.jpg
    http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?threads/365726/
    It seems the Rotkeil stays smaller than the closely resembling red shoulder severum at 6-8 inches.

Electric blue acara
    Electric_Blue_Acara_1024x1024.jpg
    imperialtropicals.com/products/electric-blue-acara?variant=11636598657
    Same with the electric blue acara. It maxes out at 5 or 6 inches, whereas the original blue acara grows much larger.

I'm pretty sure space isn't a problem, I'm thinking two of each (with a pair of angelfish). I may have to change substrate to sand, add more flat rocks, secure plants as best as possible, but what are thoughts about me keeping larger cichlids that like to rearrange?

The most robust cichlids I've kept to date have been kribensis. What should I expect as far as digging goes?

Here's a pic of my tank
    20180421_201219.jpg
    The amazon swords are planted in pots, the rosette swords are in shallow buried pots. I'm hoping to grow a dwarf sag carpet in the foreground. I can weigh the Vals down with rocks.

I'm hoping to be able to still keep one pair of angelfish and a school or two of large tetras like hy511s and columbian tetras.

Anyone whose kept these any of these cichlids, do you think they'd be a consideration for me?
    The ones you've shown are very nice. An expensive but beautiful alternative would be discus. They are also originally from Amazon river tributaries and require the same care as Angels.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    No personal experience, but have you considered festivums? I've heard they're another largeish, fairly peaceful midwater dweller.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you, yes! I've seen them. Not bad, not bad, but I'm partial to the EB acara probably because they were at my LFS for a while, a trio, and I watched them grow when I popped by. I had my EB rams at the time, so wasn't interested in a larger ciclid, but they fit my style of fish.
    I'm just not used to robust cichlids and want to make sure I'm ready for them. I'll check out festivum again :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drjallen3 View Post
    The ones you've shown are very nice. An expensive but beautiful alternative would be discus. They are also originally from Amazon river tributaries and require the same care as Angels.
    Thank you. Yes I've always loved discus, but like you say expensive. I'm not sure I want to commit myself to all the care discus require either. Discus standards are pretty high, I would likely get the stunted ones I don't know anyone that keeps severum and acara cichlids. Everyone has angelfish and rams. I'll still keep my angelfish, they will eventually go back into breeding tanks when I'm sure the internal parasite is gone. I might even try to breed GBRs again. But for my display tank, I'm considering larger fish. But not too large! I hope to be able to keep large tetras in there too!

I've always been a fan of tanks with a couple large fish and a big school of small fish.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oooooh ahh
    https://www.aquariumdomain.com/adSoc...otted-severum/
    Red-Spot-Severum-300x240.jpg
    I've seen severum being referred to as "poor man's discus". I bet this fish is not cheap either!

But 10".......could I get away with large tetras as tankmates? Or is it like angelfish and neon tetras?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot to include a photo of what the tank looks like behind the DW. The foreground is slightly mounted to keep shallow pots buried. I'm thinking about retaining hills with gravel in pantyhose underneath sand. I already have a few in there. This is the center of the tank looking down
    20180421_174838.jpg

I'm planning to add more flat rocks if I get these fish, they seem to appreciate that. Some caves on the left side maybe.

Thoughts?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Something with personality and attitude to boot.

9785045656.jpg

Reminds me of Siamese fighters and cichlids mixed.
    Firemouth cichlid (Thorichthys meeki)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That's a good one to consider too! Thanks for that :) Gonna read up now.

Edit: I was hoping to stick with South American cichlids only for this tank.

Actually, I found this guy
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyhole_cichlid
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-22-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    -Kat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast