· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    It is such great fun to start planning for new fish.
    I'm very excited for you!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    I got a group of the super red severums some years ago. Lost one shortly after they arrived, lost 2 more as they (very slowly) grew out, had a pair for quite a long time but they never did spawn. Actually quite peaceful for cichlids. Have you considered any of the Gymnogeophagus or chanchito cichlids from Uruguay? Those are generally easy to get along with IME. They prefer cooler temps, can live in warmer water but it shortens their life span a bit.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes thanks very much :) A few members here keep them, I don't think I'm ready for earth eaters and that much redecorating tendencies. Is the severum as bad?

I have not seen the other cichlid yet, tx!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-22-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    It is such great fun to start planning for new fish.
    I'm very excited for you!
    Thanks Rivers :) I'm excited too. Just planning of course, but still exciting haha.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 04-22-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm still specifically interested in severum and electric blue acara. I actually found this about the chanchito cichlid:
    They dig and they fight! So, you may have difficulty in maintaining these fish in planted aquariums
    I want to be able to keep my plants. Also the temperature is higher.

How bad is the EB acara with digging? The ones at the LFS were ok in the heavily planted tank, but maybe it's a gamble. If it's that much trouble to keep plants with other cichlids, I'm not so interested at this point and might stick with angelfish and rams/apisto. But I won't know unless I ask....

I read they might dig, it's up to the individual fish, but that planting plants in pots and weighing them down with rocks deters destruction. I think severum is less inclined to dig, but not sure.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    That's a good one to consider too! Thanks for that :) Gonna read up now.

Edit: I was hoping to stick with South American cichlids only for this tank.

Actually, I found this guy
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyhole_cichlid
    Yeah those are nice as well as flag cichlid which is similar.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    Softer water, keyhole is better than a firemouth. Severums can be real pain for similar type fishes like angelfishes and can kill each other.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So no angelfish in the 120g if I go for severum. Well, that changes things a lot. Can I deal with no angelfish in my showtank? Idk. I will keep angels probably as long as I can, they'll be inn my other tanks for sure, I intend to keep breeding them.

Tell me @Rocksor, should I stick with what I have going in the big tank, or are bigger cichlids a consideration for my 120g? Will I be disappointed with redecorating? I feel you know my sitch well enough by now. Thanks so much :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't say no, but if you value your angels more than the severum, then say no. It's a 50/50 chance whether or not the severum will bully or hurt the angels. You can find a single centerpiece larger cichlid that doesn't get more than 8" in total length.

You can prevent redecorating by placing some plants underneath larger rocks. Now this guy has diggers and very large fish in a 250+g tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    You can find a single centerpiece larger cichlid that doesn't get more than 8" in total length.
    Tx. So keyhole is a consideration with what I already have? You recommend one specimen?
    I'm just not overly crazy about them especially a single fish because I like the interaction between same species of fish (at least a pair or two fish).
    The Rotkeil severum is smaller at 6", but if the body shape is similar, I realize they might fight with my angels then. I'm not familiar with their shape, they look thicker than angels.

I don't think I can remove angelfish from the showtank. I've always kept them, which is what encouraged me to get the 120g in the first place, I'd like something different, but honestly, I prefer GBR over other cichlids as well. Would the GBR be a no if I look at keyhole or a larger cichlid than I'm used to? Actually keyhole is rather small as well, but larger than GBR.

My GBRs are finally growing now though, so maybe it was the nematode messing with their growth?
    -Kat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast