· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   

Default New Aqueon filter

0 Not allowed!
    My mom just bought a new filter, it's an Aqueon quiet flow 50. I'd like to help her modify her filter so she can ditch the cartridges and I want to make sure I understand the concept of this filter before I start.

Here's how it works
    s-l300.jpg

I know there are quite a few threads here dedicated to modifying this filter to add bio media, I'm just curious if this would work.....

I'm wondering if she could use a media bag full of ceramic material to almost fill the main section, with the floss against the bioscrubber (altered to fit flush against the main section to increase area for bio media) or floss held in place by stripped carbon cartridge. Usually I have floss first in my Aquaclears, but I don't think there'd be enough flow through the floss set up like that in this filter.

No matter what, the flow runs horizontally through the Aqueon filter instead of vertically like the Aquaclear correct?

I haven't physically seen the filter yet, just trying to educate myself first.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Here's what someone did, its 5 years old and I am not sure if the new model is different

https://www.kcfishclub.org/kunena/18...er-filter.html

I just bought 2 of them, 55/75 and the 75 (one old model and one new 'led') and I will do something similar stuffing it with tons media and blue bonded foam.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with 4 chilis, green endlers & Bloody Mary shrimp and 2nd with blue star endlers and Blue Dream shrimp
    Four-27 gallon tubs, 1st w/ BN plecos; 2nd w/ gouramis, rainbow fish, kuhli, dojos and female endlers; 3rd w/ albino corys, pepper cory, panda corys; 4th is 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    &%-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks a ton! I knew you'd be by to help out. That's pretty much what I had in mind and hadn't come across that thread, so thanks so much! I want to make it easy for my mom, she is one reason why I have fish today, but I took the hobby to a completely new level for her lol. I told her I'd fix it up :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    No problem. I made a little video unboxing of the older model. The internet is so bad I cannot upload it until everyon is gone to bed.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with 4 chilis, green endlers & Bloody Mary shrimp and 2nd with blue star endlers and Blue Dream shrimp
    Four-27 gallon tubs, 1st w/ BN plecos; 2nd w/ gouramis, rainbow fish, kuhli, dojos and female endlers; 3rd w/ albino corys, pepper cory, panda corys; 4th is 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    &%-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No worries, you've answered my question already, I get it. Thanks so much. I'll look for that myself in your journal.
    -Kat