· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Rocksor advised me to do meth blue for a week.

Kanamycin
    http://www.seachem.com/kanaplex.php
    Use 1 measure (included) per every 20 L (5 gallons). Repeat this dose every 48 hours to a maximum of 3 doses
    I would do the meth blue and kanamycin based on what I've learned at least for a week. That is the suggested treament period for kanamycin as well. Access after that.

As for eating, I don't know if you can do much, he's not eating because he's not feeling well. He will eat once he starts getting better. I've found garlic (even garlic powder) entices my fish to eat, and when he's ready, try yummy food like bloodworms. I like to change lots of water often when my fish aren't feeling well personally, but when I resort to meds, I change it as per medication instructions. For kanamycin, it's every 48hrs. If you're using a water conditioner like Prime, wait 1 hour after changing water in case it interferes with kanamycin.

I would be doing daily large WCs after a week, I understand the fish is ok with meth blue in QT, but after that I would cycle the tank with established media. I'm sorry Mylea, I'm still learning myself. I'm sure someone with more input will be around soon.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Btw, I think it's Popeye, which can initially be a result of injury, but when it moves to the other eye, there is infection and I believe Kanamycin would be helpful.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Also btw I use Kordon Methylene blue
    https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...cZiOyfCjceS6Qz
    I drop per gallon
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sending good luck to you and your fish - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Sorry you lost your angel.  You did all the right things.  Give yourself some credit and carry on! - angelcraze2   Congratulations and welcome home to your baby! - RiversGirl   so sorry to hear about your discus. I hope you can figure it out. - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much!
    If I understand correctly, Kanamycin is 1 measure for every 5 gallons, repeat every 48 hrs x 3 doses. Meth Blue is 1 drop per gallon. Both meds are used together. How often do I use the Meth Blue? Daily, every other day? Is it going to stain my tank? I've never used MB. I'm a little worried
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, cory cats, yo yo loaches, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, yo yo loaches, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, it will stain silicone light blue. That's why Rocksor suggests to use a Rubbermaid bin or cooler to treat in. I was nervous to use it too that time, I only did baths twice a day and I ultimately lost her :( If I had to do it again, I'd dose the whole QT tank for a one week duration. I believe you would dose meth blue for water removed at WC time. I would use kanamycin at least, meth blue is to facilitate treating and prevent issues like ammonia poisoning while treating.

Tbh, I'm unsure about the max kanamycin dosage, as in how many doses, if one treatment is 3 doses or if max is 3 doses (of 3 treatments) I'm sorry! I don't want to say the wrong thing. Either way, you can start with 1 measure per 5 gallons every 48 hrs. It didn't kill my nitrogen cycle, but I'm not sure about a 10g QT. That's what the meth blue is for from what I understand.

Also, I may have messed up the meth blue dosage, I'll double-check.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Again, a quote to help me out in one of my situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    Having extra oxygen in the blood helps the fish to heal. If any type of poison is in the blood, MB will help to remove that; although this would be better in the tank long term (5ml per 10 gallon) for 1 week.

I stick fish in a plastic cooler with an airstone and a heater, changing 5 gallons a water a day using old tank water. The cooler because I don't want MB to stain any silicone.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sending good luck to you and your fish - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Sorry you lost your angel.  You did all the right things.  Give yourself some credit and carry on! - angelcraze2   Congratulations and welcome home to your baby! - RiversGirl   so sorry to hear about your discus. I hope you can figure it out. - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Kat, I very much appreciate all your responses. Please forgive my ignorance.

A few things......currently, I have established media from the main tank in the QT tank. Now, although I've treated before, I may not have done it right. When treating with medication, can you still use the established media and then place it back in the original filter when done or do should you use other media? What am I talking about? Well, last time I think I used established media but don't remember now if I threw it away when I was done treating or sanitized it before putting it back in the original filter. (Please forgive me!)

Also, if using MB in a plastic bin, you mentioned putting an air stone and heater in it. Do I still need to place a filter in there as well? I will have to buy a few things so I'm going to see what I can do.

Thank you..Thank you..Thank you!!!!!
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, cory cats, yo yo loaches, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, yo yo loaches, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I have dosed kanamycin in a cycled tank without losing the cycle, but in my own experience, starting up a QT is hit and miss, the cycle doesn't always take right away. In the cases where the cycle bottomed out, I add Prime water conditioner to neutralize ammonia (turn it to the much less toxic form ammonium) and add more bio media from the main tank. I have used floss for QT, not expensive ceramic, and I toss out all media used when I'm done to prevent contamination to the main tank. In your situation, the problem is not contagious, so I might try to disinfect and reuse ceramic media. (But most often, it's safer just to chuck it).

Meth blue will kill your cycle, and is really used in your situation for a hospital tank that is not cycled. Just an airstone to keep water moving and oxygenated and a heater to keep water at a good temp for your angel (whatever he's used to). The meth blue will keep him safe while you medicate with kanamycin. It's just playing it safe (as I understand) assuming cycles don't always take.

I hope I am explaining things right, no worries about anything, I'm super happy to help!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again Kat!
    So I'm going to go buy a container and an air stone (either tonight or early morning). Then I'll add some media from the main tank (that I can toss later) and put the Angel in the container along with Meth Blue and Kanamycin. Since I am dosing x 48 hours, I will not do a WC until 48 hours is up. The Meth Blue will also help with the ammonia, from what I'm understanding.

I just noticed (10 min. ago) some stringy-looking, diarrhea (?) like light tan color stuff coming from his anus. :( You'll see the poop in the bottom photo) And look at his eyes now!!! They're getting worse by the day. Is his condition deteriorating or is there something else I'm dealing now? :( This is the worst part of fish-keeping, I swear! :'(

Angel right eye worse.jpg

Angel left eye worse.jpg

Angel stringy poop.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ahhh poor guy. There's no need to use media in the container with meth blue. Just an airstone. Meth blue kills the nitrogen cycle anyway, so there's no point. Leave bio media in the QT tank until you use meth blue though. I'm sorry Mylea :(

I wouldn't worry about his poop, and his system is off atm.
    Stringy poop doesn't always mean parasites. I think this time it's related. Once he gets some antibiotics, hopefully it'll give him a chance to heal. That is my opinion.
    -Kat