· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterJedi View Post
    Also, looking at going with eco complete, trying to remember what the guy said I should also use from the LFS yesterday. He recommended some other type of substrate to put as a base layer with the eco complete over so there wouldn't be an acid drop. Anyone know what he means? Guy did seem to know what he was talking about, runs all the planted tanks at this place.
    I never had an issue with the pH when using Eco. There might be some extra carbonates that raise your hardness for a little bit, but some water changes should take care of that fairly quickly. Eco is not considered an active/buffering substrate, so I'm a bit confused as to what your LFS guy was concerned about.

I had some good experiences with Eco, although I no longer use it. Plants grew fine in it and I had a lush dwarf baby tears carpet with the stuff, but I stopped using it due to the rough edges of the larger gravel pieces. When I tried growing plants that were more delicate in it, the rough top layer would chew up the stems of my dainty plants like didiplis diandra and rotala wallichii as they swayed in the water current. If you're going to be growing robust plants you shouldn't have a problem, though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I've used CaribSea substrates in all of my tanks. I have Eco Complete in a couple, the dry Tahitian Moon Sand in a couple and I have the Tahitian Moon Instant Aquarium and the Sunset Gold Instant Aquarium in a couple of others. I've never had to rinse any of these - which was a big plus for me - and have great plant growth with little to no fertilizers.

These products are more pricey than something like pool filter sand, but I really like them all. I don't think you can go wrong with Eco Complete, but I also wonder what your local guy is suggesting to add. I haven't added anything to any of my tanks with CaribSea substrates.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'll have to go back soon and review what it is they mentioned. I know where it is in the shop, just can't remember the name.