· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterJedi View Post
    So looking at an Eheim Jager heater
    Of course it is your tank and your decision, but in case you might wish to hear another member's experience with this piece of equipment, I'll share mine.

I have this heater. It was purchased when I first set up my tank, also after much research. It worked well when calibrated, but with the two separate parts of the dial, it was always confusing and wound up becoming un-calibrated easily (and often!). Calibrating it again became almost a continual struggle. Of course you might not have that same trouble.
    It is now my (quite expensive) backup heater. I replaced it in my tank with a Cobalt (neo-therm) and am very happy with this heater.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Of course it is your tank and your decision, but in case you might wish to hear another member's experience with this piece of equipment, I'll share mine.

I have this heater. It was purchased when I first set up my tank, also after much research. It worked well when calibrated, but with the two separate parts of the dial, it was always confusing and wound up becoming un-calibrated easily (and often!). Calibrating it again became almost a continual struggle. Of course you might not have that same trouble.
    It is now my (quite expensive) backup heater. I replaced it in my tank with a Cobalt (neo-therm) and am very happy with this heater.
    When looking at them I was thinking of going with the ehaim due to the quality of German manufacturing. Plus I'm still seeing reports of people having issues with the cobalt unless that really has been fixed and it's just the remnants.

Also, looking at going with eco complete, trying to remember what the guy said I should also use from the LFS yesterday. He recommended some other type of substrate to put as a base layer with the eco complete over so there wouldn't be an acid drop. Anyone know what he means? Guy did seem to know what he was talking about, runs all the planted tanks at this place.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Riversgirl is not the only member here who is "less than enthused" with the Jagers, after using them...I'd never even give them a thought, it's dumb to have 2 dials to fool with when you can set a temp on pretty much any other heater with one click, and forget about it

The problem you refer to with the Cobalts was fixed long ago...again, I recommend them, they'll be the only submersibles I ever use in my tanks that need one
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Riversgirl is not the only member here who is "less than enthused" with the Jagers, after using them...I'd never even give them a thought, it's dumb to have 2 dials to fool with when you can set a temp on pretty much any other heater with one click, and forget about it

The problem you refer to with the Cobalts was fixed long ago...again, I recommend them, they'll be the only submersibles I ever use in my tanks that need one
    Makes sense. Likely will go with the cobalt after having people (I've been lurking for a long time besides being joined, research while I had to wait) so I'll probably go with the cobalt. Ended up getting the Eheim 2215 as well after research, it's on the way to my house. Last night ended up getting the last piece of driftwood and a cover so it's coming along.

Spreading out all this $$ to set it up, hope to have it set up sometime this summer. If I budgeted well I'll be able to get the heater this month too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Excellent choices....I have an Eheim 2215 as well, and love it...they make awesome canister filters, and not-so-awesome heaters, lol

Take your time, and do it right...you'll hear alot that "nothing good happens fast" in this hobby if you stick around here

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone know anything about the bottom substrate I mentioned above in post #22 by chance?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of folks here use the Eco Complete, with great results...I prefer sand

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    By doing your research as you are, and by building slowly with intension, you are surely setting up things right! I'm excited for you and happy to be following along on your build.

Regarding your substrate question, I use Pool Filter Sand in one tank and Black Diamond Blasting Sand in another. I'm happy with these choices.

I would caution you, however, if you decide to use BDBS, read up on rinsing methods. (A drop of Dawn within your method is quite helpful) Be prepared to rinse and re-rinse. It was worth the effort for me personally, but I was surprised by how much rinsing was really required -- even after reading warnings.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree^^ I like how you are researching for yourself and budgeting and being patient. Those three attributes are very helpful when it comes to this hobby.

I also have some Eheim jagers, lol, I still don't know how to calibrate. I'm just not confident I have done it correctly.

My Eheim canister filters have been great for more than 8 years.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterJedi View Post
    Anyone know anything about the bottom substrate I mentioned above in post #22 by chance?
    I have used Eco for many years (15+) but stand alone without anything mixed in... not sure if the lfs guy was talking about laterite, or a dirt bottom or something like ADA soil.

Eco has a high cation exchange rate so helps move nutrient from water column to roots. The only time I added anything to the substrate was when I established a new tank. Then I would use the Flourish root tabs just to get the plants an extra boost to start. I had Eco in my 29 and upgraded to a 55, then upgraded to a 75. I have grown a lot of plants in it and only relatively recently (past 4 years) have a I been dabbling in CO2 and EI fertilization. Prior to that it was not additional fertilization or simply adding the Flourish comprehensive liquid fertilizer.

Heres' the tank in July 2017...I don't have anything recent as we moved in October of 2017 and I still have the tank broken into tubs. The plants are currently in a tub with Eco, btw.

Tank 1.jpg

Tank 2.jpg

It was jam packed full of plants as I thought when we moved the basement would be priority 1 to get done and I anticipated diving the plants into multiple tanks when we moved.
    Last edited by Boundava; 04-17-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast