· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: alone or paired

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default alone or paired

0 Not allowed!
    Up until now, I have kept only one per specie in my tank. They are getting along with one exception. My albino flameback has been the victim of tail find nipping. I have not seen it happen, so I don't know who is doing it. There is still fin left, with a portion of the transparent section of the fin.

He or she hides in an area that the other fish don't like and I have not seen any new damage, but I don't want her to have to be constantly afraid. Rehoming would be a last resort.

One of the reasons I have only one of a species is because I don't want fry. That said, I'm wondering if there was a second flameback, would the current one feel safer and be safer if she was not the only flameback? Most of my fish are teenagers or juveniles, so adding another flameback would be better at this point than as adults. I have 11 fish in my forty gallon tank now with plenty of hiding spaces and tunnels. Any chasing behavior has been curtailed by the chaser running into another fish or losing the fish it was chasing in the tunnels. One of the fish is not a cichlid. He is a petricola cat.

Does anyone have an idea as to whether or not a second flameback would be helpful or just make the situation worse? Most of my fish are males. I wanted all males, but some were not able to be sexed at time of purchase. Thank you in advance.

marcr

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    It can make it worse for the existing flameback. Typically cichlids have higher aggression with the same species or those who close resemble itself first.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So basically, I would need to find out the sex of this one, and if it were a male, get two or more females? I wonder if the fact that there is a teenage red zebra that is very close in color may have been cause to nip fins. I also have a yellow acei and yellow lab that are roughly the same size, but they don't have any pinkish areas. Not sure how well they do with narrowing down colors.

The good news is there is no new damage. From the time I first noticed the damage, it actually looks a little better. That could be wishful thinking, but I hope not. She is eating well and although still hiding, has come out a couple of times and been on the other side of the tank. There is no way I could put four more fish into the tank, so i'm documenting damage and watching closely, and if the damage gets worse, i'll rehome the fish. This one is tank raised, I don't want imports, and I understand this fish is not as easy to find, so the local fish store may be interested. I would prefer knowing where she goes, but don't know anyone who has fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, find out if it is male, and don't get another male if it is. It's mostly about size and shape and feeding habits, color seems not so much. Once a cichlid reaches to about 75% of the size of another cichlid, it either tries to become more dominant or it gets beat down.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    A couples things to note on. The problem could be that you have females in there. Most cichlids don't care what species the female is. As long as it is a female it will try to breed. That is how hybrids come about. Also if there is only one or two females in your tank and the rest are males, you then create a high aggression situation. Lastly, cichlids do become teratorial. And in a forty gallon there isn't much room. Cichlids, even as juveniles, are better kept in a 55 or bigger. This helps to cut down on the aggression.