· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forever QT tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Forever QT tank

2 Not allowed!
    Meet my 20g forever quarentine tank.
    20180405_222244.jpg

There are many reasons why this tank is set up far away from my other tanks, but the most prominent reason is probably because I strongly suspect all the these inhabitants have been in contact with the lymphosistis virus. There are 8 gold tetras, 1 male BN pleco, anD 3 super blue kerri tetras left. There is no cure, ALL these fish are carriers and always will be. I cannot share a thing between tanks, just a drop of water could contaminate my own system. It is also why this is not a botonical tank like I intended, since I must frequently siphon the substrate for parasites and eggs. I still keep a pantyhose bag of leaves in the tank for now.

Anyway, I have been having more problems other than just permanent QT. I have some parasites. @Rocksor @madagascarensis I could use advice. I lost 15 of the 18 kerri tetras I received in a brutal shipment months ago. I actually just lost another kerri tetras a few days ago. It was stupid skinny (poor thing) he poopped white, I knew I should have netted him.....
    Anyway I didn't and he disappeared the next day. I couldn't find him. I hardly ever found the bodies. Now my BN pleco has been clamping his caudal fin for weeks. I haven't noticed any problems with my gold tetras, but I might have lost two total since the shipment fish were added. But the kerri tetras are pathetic!!! Only one has grown, the other two left are half the size. They always looked like they had bulging bellies, which I thought was normal but later found out it is a sign of internal parasites. All 18 of them exept that one normal sized one looked sickly and weak since the day I received them.

I am sorry I ever subjected my own fish to these infected fish, something I'll never ever do again. Live and learn.

So this is what I have done over the last 6 months since I got them:
    Paraguard for 2 weeks-prophylactic treatment
    Parasite Guard 3 weeks in a row for anchor worms
    Levamisole for worms (Once or twice)
    Prazipro for other parasites

I can't seem to get this. I didn't know what I'm dealing with or which meds to use.

I have just received Dr. Tim's FishBenzadole. I could try that....
    I just don't know if this is a worm (like my other fish) or something else?

Fenbenzadole laced food was my final treatment in my tanks with a parasitic nematode not related to this tank's affliction, but could be the same.

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts or advice.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-06-2018 at 03:14 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    This setup is looking too good for a QT. Hope all the fishes get better with the treatment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you @suhirr :) It's a permanent QT tank because of the Lymphocystis virus contamination. It was unfortunate, and a leaning experience for me not to add new fish to a tank with your own fish. I added 17 kerri tetras and two EB rams to my 40g bare-bottom grow out tank with 10 gold tetras and a juvie BN pleco. I was going to use the 40g as a healthy QT tank that I planned to maybe have to medicate, but did not consider a virus with no cure. The virus is not fatal, but it causes cells to enlarge creating ugly uneven growths. I believe the fish's immune system must be compromised though. When I added the EB rams already with a lymphosistis breakout, the whole tank and each inhabitant became permanently infected. I transferred everything from the 40g to a 20g far away from my other tanks and used all the plants and DW to create a new scape. I used the soil from the dirted pots in the 40g to dirt the 20g. Anyway, that is why the tack looks like that and why I keep out sticky seperate. O intend to make it a botonical tank once either all the unhealthy fish are dead or I figure out what the problem is. I really like the gold tetras.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Hope things work out for you and these fish, Kat...and I agree with suhirr, the prettiest QT tank I've ever seen
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hehe, tx for what it is lol.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Hey, it looks much more comfy and relaxing for fish than many QT's I've seen...I know the circumstance may be a bit different with this one, but still, very nice

I always feel sorry for fish in a bare tank, for some reason...they tend to seem skeered, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I always feel sorry for fish in a bare tank, for some reason...they tend to seem skeered, lol
    Yeah, when I added my GBRs to my 40g QT/growout tank, (this is before the lymphosistis infection) the rams wouldn't "set foot" on the bare bottom and wouldn't leave the dirted/planted glass Pyrex dishes. They were definitely skerrrd lol.
    February 3, 2017 120325 AM EST.jpg
    They got used to it, and my fish that grow up in there never notice a difference. But l always add a decoration or fake plant to QT tanks at least though. Makes more to disinfect after, but I agree, the fish need something to help them feel secure. I think I may use tiles in the bottom from now on.....
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-08-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have completed feeding Fenbenzadole today. Everyone is still alive and loved the Repashy mix I made.
    @Rocksor I would really appreciate some help determining what course of treatment to do next if anything. Two of the 3 remaining kerri tetras from the bad shipment are about half the size as the only kerri tetra that ever looked normal, which suggests internal parasites. I also noticed a weird bulge in the lower abdomen of the kerri tetras that died from the moment I received them. The last kerri tetra that died was very very thin with that bulge. I never found the body. My pleco is still clamping his caudal fin. Everyone is eating well always have. Do you have a suggestion?

I've already treated with Parasite Guard for anchor worms months ago, Levamisole once two months ago, Prazipro once for 7 days a month ago, and Fenben just now in their food. That was all preventative aside from the Parasite Guard since I'm not sure what to use for these symptoms. Do you have any idea if it's a nematode or most likely another type of Parasite that requires another type of treatment?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    after feben, do one treatment of 2ppm levamisole for 24 hours

did you ever try epsom salt solution, metronidazole and focus in repashy?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    after feben, do one treatment of 2ppm levamisole for 24 hours

did you ever try epsom salt solution, metronidazole and focus in repashy?
    Ok thanks, I'll do my WC and add Levamisole tonight.

Actually, I think I did, but forget for certainty. The fish were not even close to being as accepting about Metro as Fenben, but I know I fed it to my other fish anyway, so I probably did. Gah, so much medicating. This is the first time I've ever dealt with this much disease and parasites. It's crazy!
    -Kat