· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forever QT tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default QT parasite update

0 Not allowed!
    Since I'm unsure of how many parasites there are in this tank, and I've treated with various antiparasite and dewormers prophylactically in hopes to get everything. And deal with whatever is leftover later. So I'm not medicating atm.

Well I'm down to two kerri tetras. The biggest one who grew unusually large unusually quickly, who also was a very healthy looking tetra, vanished one day. I never found the body.

I still have 8 gold tetras and my pleco. He might not be clamping his tail as tightly. It fans out now and then.

@Rocksor I was looking at the remainder two kerri tetras and the smallest one had a huge bulge in the abdomen and it almost looked like something whitish was bulging out or bursting out. I didn't expect the fish to last long and was watching it closely. Well today, if I didn't see it a couple days ago, I would have missed the whole thing. It looks completely normal. So I did another big WC and siphon.

I was pretty surprised actually. Any ideas what type of Parasite or what that could be? That same fish was acting isolated and hanging near the intake a couple weeks ago. The bulge developed over a couple weeks.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    lymphocytis will be there one day, and gone the next

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Wow really....

Anyway, he's still kicking. Looks ok. Growing now slowly I think. I've had them since the fall when they were very tiny. But they are only the size of a gold tetra. I feel they should be larger, but it's my 1st time with kerri tetras.
    I have to note they actually bite me at water change time. They bite at any freckles on my arm which is kind of annoying but goes to show how they are always out and about social tetras, even in their shoal of 2. The 8 gold tetras zip and hide in the java fern.

I think the fish are looking better. My gold tetras never seemed affected by anything and my pleco is clamping less. He seems to be annoyed with the tetras eating his leftovers, and he is skittish with outside movement but that might just be who he is? He comes out everytime looking for his wafer piece.

I recently added some sand to help better keep the dirt down. I also wanted to add a beach area (replace gravel with sand) where there is no dirt. I'll get a pic in a bit.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Pic of the added sand. It's white PFS. I changed the lighting, made it a bit stronger and crypts are beginning to grow a bit. Lighting is low, growth is slow, but it's easy to take care of which is what I need with a permanent QT tank.
    20180603_213521.jpg

I always found the pH pretty high for a tank with leaves filtering and tannins, although I don't tend to test this tank because of the QT issue. I just noticed I've been using limestone in my tanks. I didn't know limestone was grey too lol.

I pulled the limestone out of my 120g and intend to replace it with something inert. But this QT tank I'm just gonna leave as is, the java fern is growing on the rocks well and it's probably holding up the scape somewhat. PH is a minor detail, it just won't be a "Blackwater" tank like I had intended.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I like this little tank of yours. Your beach area turned out nicely. Looks just like one might stumble across at the edge of a forest.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Tx RG

Not much changes with this tank, I'm cool with that, but it makes pics boring. Also I've never seen such timid tetras before I owned these gold tetras. The two kerri tetras are always out and poking at eachother, my arm, whatever. A complete contrast keeping these two 'groups' together. I have tried to grow water lettuce in here a few times, it always melts. I want the roots in here to hopefully make the gold tetras feel more comfortable and also added more leaves to the filter flow. The two kerri tetras also appreciate the roots to play in and investigate.

I added a DIY water bottle baffle to the AC, the lettuce kept getting tossed around in the output that goes straight down without the baffle.
    20180624_133915.jpg
    But! The flow is significantly reduced now. It's flowing, and I think it's ok, but not 100%

I could easily add a powerhead. Just remember whatever I put in here stays in here until all the fish die or it is disinfected really well. I hate adding anything, even avoid touching the water.

Well, although my gold tetras lay low, they all look healthy and going strong. My pleco is not clamping his tail fin nearly as much, I wanted to get him on video eating his veggie round piece yesterday, his fins all fanned out in front, but as soon as I move, he sees me, clamps up and hides.
    20180624_134647.jpg
    I'm not sure why these fish are so skittish?

I'm down to two kerri tetras (no comment). The last two are looking ok. I guess. Well, once looks better then the other. At least they are always out and not hiding. But no deaths or weird stuff since deworming the last time with Levamisole and feeding Fenbenzadole with all my other fish. I also used PraziPro a couple times. Got them! I hope.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-24-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So I have begun dropping my WC frequency in this tank. I'm using distilled water to top it off and keeping it stained with maple leaves.

My power was off a couple days ago for more than 18 hrs, and the aquaclear didn't turn back on. So I disconnected it and did a 20% WC today, washing the AC in the old tank water. But I also noticed my bag of leaves had become anaerobic. A putrid rotten egg odor filled the spare bedroom when I disturbed it lol. So I quickly removed it and aired it out by fluffing the leaves inside the bag. Problem gone from the bag and now in my air But I don't want this to happen again, right? So, I transferred some rinsed media from the other HOB on this tank (stuffed the AC) to make room for the leaf bag. The idea is for the filter flow to keep the leaves aerated. I had the bag in the output flow, but it wasn't enough, so I'm trying it right in the filter.

Some info regarding H202 and effects on anaerobic bacteria I don't want to lose
    http://titanwaters.com/facts-hydroge...r-systems.html
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-05-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    That's an interesting article.

Off topic, but: I wish I had known more about the benefits/ease of hydrogen peroxide back when I was re-doing this old kitchen two decades ago. Bleach was not helping me - I remember mostly because I was so surprised by that.

Anyhow, thank you for the link.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Agree, that is a great read. H2O2 has always been in my "natural" cleaning arsenal along with white vinegar and baking soda-even salt is a good abrasive for tough build up like dried on algae-though it has been replaced by MR. Clean original in many instances.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I too use peroxide for cleaning, disinfecting my hands before and after going in the tanks, my equipment, and so forth. Vinegar is a great cleaning tool as well, I use it for my floors all the time. I haven't tried the salt for abrasive cleaning, but I do use baking soda often, even to brush my teeth. I read a pH of 11 inhibits viruses like Ebola. The info was for my aquariums, but honestly
    I haven't been sick since I started with it regularly hahaha. I'm totally into these 'natural' remedies.
    -Kat