· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default DIY leopard gecko retreat

1 Not allowed!
    I have 4 leopard geckos, a male named Morrison, two females named Lybra and Stub (Stub dropped her tail as a wee baby and had to be nursed to health). Fourth leo named Leopold I re-adopted from the parents when they moved to a remote area where crickets (their staple food) are not available.

Currently Morrison and Leopold (unsure of Leopold's sex) have their own 29g enclosures. Lybra and Stub have shared a 33g for 11 or 12 years now. Morrison and Lybra are 14/15 years old now and Stub and Leopold are their offspring at 12/13 years old.

I want to build a vivarium in my living room, up to the ceiling which will eventually be a divider between the living room and kitchen instead of a big plain wall. (Planning to tear down the rest of the wall one day). So the DIY rock wall, caves and ramps will extend 4-5 feet.

I have a 46g bowfront I want to house Lybra and Stub in, and I have a 28g bowfront for Morrison.
    20180404_114347.jpg
    The sticks are for a future fish tank, not the terrarium.

Even though he is 15 years old and may not have much of a sex drive, it's not recommended to keep male and female geckos together long term, anD only for breeding purposes. I haven't checked yet, but if Leopold is a male, I'll rehome him again in his enclosure he's used to. If Leopold is female, I might consider housing her with my other two females in the new enclosure.

I'm not sure how to configure the two tanks to look uniform, they don't even have to be flush with the wall. I plan to build a DIY rock wall up to the ceiling, anD covering the stand with DIY rock. So I can prop the 28g however since I don't have a stand anyway and I'll be covering the stand up with DIY rock anyway. Any ideas? Comments?

This is the idea for rock but whiter
    944443936_Colored Canyon.JPG
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Seems like a neat plan. Looking forward to watching it come together.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    How's this project going? Curious to see progress. I have 5 leos myself, in a 70"x22"x8" tank I had custom made. Not too happy with the scape right now though, not very inspired.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by datfish View Post
    How's this project going? Curious to see progress. I have 5 leos myself, in a 70"x22"x8" tank I had custom made. Not too happy with the scape right now though, not very inspired.
    Ahhh nice! I'm embarrassed to say I haven't done anything with it yet. My leos are all between 15 and 17 years old, I wasn't sure if I should change things up with them being so old. Morison is actually almost 17 years old now, their babies (leopold and stub) are 15 years old. Sadly I lost Leopold. Don't know what happened, he just died one day :( It was pretty sad as I had never seen that before, my first reptile death. He wasn't that old? I used to have nightmares that I wasn't taking proper care of the geckos. Something I always feared seeing :(

But the others are doing well. Stub actually dropped her tail AGAIN but it already grew back and is nice and fat. I guess that's why I haven't got around to it yet though.

Maybe one day you careen share pics of your terrarium in the other pets section. I'd love to see them!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Ahhh nice! I'm embarrassed to say I haven't done anything with it yet. My leos are all between 15 and 17 years old, I wasn't sure if I should change things up with them being so old. Morison is actually almost 17 years old now, their babies (leopold and stub) are 15 years old. Sadly I lost Leopold. Don't know what happened, he just died one day :( It was pretty sad as I had never seen that before, my first reptile death. He wasn't that old? I used to have nightmares that I wasn't taking proper care of the geckos. Something I always feared seeing :(

But the others are doing well. Stub actually dropped her tail AGAIN but it already grew back and is nice and fat. I guess that's why I haven't got around to it yet though.

Maybe one day you careen share pics of your terrarium in the other pets section. I'd love to see them!
    I'm sure you took fine care of him! Sometimes thing just die for no reason in our control, just like us unfortunately. I feel you on lack of progress, I have a load of halfdone efforts around the house.

I'll post all my lizards sometime once I beautify their setups.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    -Kat