· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Bigger angel ate smaller angels dorsal fin

0 Not allowed!
    So I woke up this morning and my new angels dorsal fin has chewed off. Any advice?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Are you observing any fighting? Is it only the two angelfish in the tank? The fin will grow back, no worries, but sometimes two angelfish won't get along. If the new angel is being picked on, you might not be able to keep them together. I've had to rehome angels before and break them up when I was first starting out with them. Adding another one or two angels can help your current situation, but it's not always an option depending on tank size.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Are you observing any fighting? Is it only the two angelfish in the tank? The fin will grow back, no worries, but sometimes two angelfish won't get along. If the new angel is being picked on, you might not be able to keep them together. I've had to rehome angels before and break them up when I was first starting out with them. Adding another one or two angels can help your current situation, but it's not always an option depending on tank size.
    It's a 125 gallon tank, lots of wood , plants, caves, and lots of different types of fish that are all pretty non aggressive. It's a smaller angel and I'm sure the bigger angel is showing dominance. Depending on what happens today I might put the new one in my ten gallon for awhile. I haven't noticed any fighting but the bigger one chases the smaller one a little bit but not to the point of exhaustion or anything like that at all, it seems like they get along most of the time actually. The new angel is still full of life always wanting to eat and being a typical attention hungry angel fish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I'm not even sure if there are nerve endings in that part of the dorsal fin. My angels with fin injuries heal in a day's time, it may take a couple weeks for the fin to grow back completely, but you should see regrowth starting by day two. My angelfish don't seem to notice when their dorsal fins are damaged no matter how bad it looks. The other day my breeding female who just laid eggs in a community angel tank was all ripped up protecting the eggs. She'll be healed up in a couple days, the fins heal up quickly. But when there only two angels, they must get along well. Ime, I only keep breeding angels in pairs. When I first started out, I introduced an adult angel to my first mama angel ever and this new addition split her dorsal in two all the way down. I saw them spinning and fighting aggressively (first time seeing anything like it or anything like it again). Her fin sealed completely in a few days which amazed me actually, but with the fighting, I had to rehome the newbie and I kept her on her own until I lucked out and found a mate.

What I did was divide the tank with a divider to get them accustomed to eachother. I figured they were friends when I saw her laying eggs on the divider and he was trying to fertilize on the other side lol!

Really, it's a gamble when two angels haven't grown up together, but adding 2 or 3 more angels will most likely solve your problem.

And you are right, your angels are establishing pecking order, but with only two, the one on the bottom is really getting the brunt of it.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I'm not even sure if there are nerve endings in that part of the dorsal fin. My angels with fin injuries heal in a day's time, it may take a couple weeks for the fin to grow back completely, but you should see regrowth starting by day two. My angelfish don't seem to notice when their dorsal fins are damaged no matter how bad it looks. The other day my breeding female who just laid eggs in a community angel tank was all ripped up protecting the eggs. She'll be healed up in a couple days, the fins heal up quickly. But when there only two angels, they must get along well. Ime, I only keep breeding angels in pairs. When I first started out, I introduced an adult angel to my first mama angel ever and this new addition split her dorsal in two all the way down. I saw them spinning and fighting aggressively (first time seeing anything like it or anything like it again). Her fin sealed completely in a few days which amazed me actually, but with the fighting, I had to rehome the newbie and I kept her on her own until I lucked out and found a mate.

What I did was divide the tank with a divider to get them accustomed to eachother. I figured they were friends when I saw her laying eggs on the divider and he was trying to fertilize on the other side lol!

Really, it's a gamble when two angels haven't grown up together, but adding 2 or 3 more angels will most likely solve your problem.

And you are right, your angels are establishing pecking order, but with only two, the one on the bottom is really getting the brunt of it.
    Yeah my wife keeps saying we need to add more but I have a blue jack dempsey in there that's going to get quite large along with 2 large plecos and a ornate bichir so I'm a bit hesitant on adding more fish. I think I'm gonna let it play out for a bit and as long as there aren't any new injuries to other fins we should be ok , if not I'll separate them. I don't think there are nerve endings on the dorsal fin because this fish is acting like he didn't even know it was there! Lol he seems to be perfectly happy but I will definitely keep a close eye on them. Thank you

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No worries, I'm happy to help. One question though, how does your Jack Dempsey tolerate the angels?
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    No worries, I'm happy to help. One question though, how does your Jack Dempsey tolerate the angels?
    Both my jack dempseys are sweethearts. The normal one o think is a runt because she hasn't grown since I got her , maybe 2 inches long max. The blue one is about 4 or 5 inches long and getting big but is very nice to everyone, actually before I got this new angel the big angel used to kinda swim around with the blue jack dempsey

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hope your injured Angel is recovering well.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudhirr View Post
    Hope your injured Angel is recovering well.
    Thank you. It seems to be healing well