· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Is this a good choice?

0 Not allowed!
    My computer only lets me start topics, not reply to them. It must be because i am not at home- i am on vacation. So i have a simalar post, on in if i should get the tank (a 30 gallon).

I might do a rift lake setup. Is malawi the easiest? I have heard it has. my pH is 7.5. What cichlids would be good in a 30 gallon? How many? A stocking list of exact numbers and hardy types is appreciated.

EDIT: I might get a 75 gallon, and have 15 mbuna cichlids. My mom likes the colors, and she likes that you have a lot of different species. I listened to a talk show all on mbunas. This is what i learned:

you need a 75 gallon or more
    15 fish in a 75 or 30 fish in a 150
    penguins or emperor filters are best (but i want a canister)
    use 400 watts of heating
    feed cichlid flakes when little, pellets when big.

I have a question though. Are shome species hardier than others? These are the types i can get:
    Auratus
    Cobalt Blue Zebra
    Red Zebra
    Snow White Zebra
    Lemon Yellow

And another question. There are 5 species, and i need 15. Do I get 3 of each? Or do some species like more than others?
    Last edited by shockshockshad; 12-30-2007 at 01:53 AM.
    !~*Shockshockshad*~!
    30 gallon
    Heavily Planted SE Asian biotope
    -2 SAE's, 13 threadfin rainbows, 6 White Cloud Mtn. Minnows and a dwarf gourami

12 gallon
    2 bamboo shrimp, couple cherry shrimp, 10 neons, 6 CPD's and 8 spotted rasboras

75 gallon
    South American tank
    -1 Firemouth , 1 blue acara

Awards Showcase

For doing such good research!! - Rue hehe. - Tolley nascar prize - sailor Happy Birthday! - squirt_12 For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue 
    Thanks for the rep! - robnepper To the only guy to quote himself! - Mr.Prototype Thinking of Noah & your family xxx - Fishalicious For your 1 year at AC xxx - Fishalicious Not enough gifts - The Red Severum 
    you need more! - The Red Severum one more! - The Red Severum won the lottery with your donation, had to buy you a beer - mrs fishpatrick Time for another round! - northernguy A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey 
    Here's one on the house, Nick. - robnepper Merry Christmas - Northernguy Thanks!! - Wild Turkey your info has been great the last couple of days - The Red Severum I appreciate your generousity! - Brookfish 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish Childhood Cancer - NickFish Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish 

0 Not allowed!
    I might do a rift lake setup. Is malawi the easiest? I have heard it has. my pH is 7.5.
    Malawi is probably the easiest as they are pretty hardy cichlids.
    The pH should be between 7.8 and 8.5 Red empress are hardy and pretty easy to keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    30 is too small for mbuna. the 75 would be a superb tank and you could have a lot more than 15 - at least 30/35 and with enough filtration even some more.

of the species you name, the only one to keep an eye on would be the auratus. they are seriously aggressive when adult, and in fact although they can be quite pretty as juveniles, the males are ugly when grown. they lose almost all of that nice golden colouration.

is the lemon yellow an 'electric yellow' labidochromis caereulus or a neolamprologus leilupi ? the latter is in fact a tanganyikan, although as a matter of fact you can still keep them with mbuna. All of the other fish you name are 'harem' breeders, and should be stocked in a ratio of 1 male to 4 or 5 females. The 75 would be a lovely set up like that.

if you want a rift lake tank in the 30 do a tanganyikan shell dweller set up with maybe 1 calvus as a centrepiece fish.