· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Default Ultron and Raptor's Peace

0 Not allowed!
    While most creatures in my tank are fairly benign, I have a pair of favia corals that are fairly aggressive.

In the clip you will see the corals extending out tentacles. The shorter and more numerous ones are feeder tentacles, which are used to catch bits of food and direct the food into the mouths for consumption. The longer tentacles that whip around in the current are stinging "sweeper" tentacles, which are used to sting other corals that get too close.

I had to move these guys away from their previous location as their sweepers were coming within mere millimeters from some of my other corals. Since I was moving them, I decided to put them near the front so I could get some nice macro shots for y'all.

Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 03-29-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

2 Not allowed!
    It's always interesting to observe how corals are chemically aware of the presence of other corals and then take action.

While some sweepers seem to be deployed in a 'recon/search mission', others are sent out in deliberate hunt-destroy mode. It's interesting, especially when dealing with corals with sweepers 3+" in length, to see how they are able maneuver their sweepers toward the precise location of their neighbors (despite water flow). NOT interesting when they make contact. Nematocysts (the stinging cells) can pack a punch.

Worse than sweepers tentacles are the mesenterial filaments, when can be cast out like a net, which seem to inflict a stinging/digestion combo attack.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, the smaller of the two sends out two or three that have gotten about 1.5” in length, but I’ve only witnessed that on two occasions. For the most part the sweepers are short like in the clip.

I’ve seen vids that show when corals throw out the filaments and wipe out huge sections of other corals. Pretty intense stuff.