· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wave Maker

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Wave Maker

0 Not allowed!
    Can someone suggest a good and quiet wave maker with a controller for my Red Sea Max E-260? I will have both coral and fish in it? The cost must be reasonable not the 2 to 3 hundred dollar ones...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Jebao and Uniclife make some decent budget wavemakers for under $100. The RW-8 model would be a nice fit for a tank that size. Probably more powerful than you'd need, but I would assume that you'd get some better life expectancy out of it by running it at only 50-75%.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I bought this one on Amazon, works great for the low price. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...640813e9e465fe

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2string1 View Post
    Can someone suggest a good and quiet wave maker with a controller for my Red Sea Max E-260? I will have both coral and fish in it? The cost must be reasonable not the 2 to 3 hundred dollar ones...
    You shouldn't have to spend more than $50-$60. A Jebao with controller will set you back about $50 and a Hydor Koralia 3rd Gen about $60. Either would be a good choice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

Default Jumping in for clarification and information

0 Not allowed!
    I looked up the Red Sea Max E-260 and saw that it's a 69 gallon tank with similar dimensions to a standard 65G tank. Since I am (hopefully) soon to be working on a 65G build and since this thread isn't terribly old, I'm going to jump in here instead of starting a new thread on the same topic.

I am currently using a couple of Hydor Koralia circulation pumps on my 40B and like them a lot. I thought about getting a controller for them, but have read that sometimes when the pumps shut off and on they have a tendency to run backwards. That's made me nix that idea.

I am now looking at the Jeboa wave makers with controller, but since I'm not very mechanical minded, I'm having trouble figuring out which size I'd need. Plus there seems to be a lot of choices, at least on Amazon. I haven't ventured onto other equipment selling sights because I'm afraid there might be even more choices and my mind is already boggled. But to be fair, it stays that way most of the time.

Anyway... if someone wanted to get 2 Jeboa wave maker pumps for a 65-69G tank, what would be the recommended size?
    Last edited by showmebutterfly; 09-11-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Rebecca, it is important to note that the Jebao wavemakers also fall victim to the reverse malfunction on occasion. I have two of the SW-2 units and one of them is currently experiencing the issue. It is resolved by taking it apart and cleaning out the inside where the magnet is, which is an easy fix, but it would be nice to have a product that doesn't have that problem.

I have looked around a few times to see if I can find an alternative that is a little better than the Jebao but no where near as expensive as the Vortechs and Maxspects, but it seems like you either have to settle for the problematic cheapos or shell out hundreds of dollars for the top of the line. I'm open to hear other options...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for that information, Andre. That's unfortunate that the Jebao has the same issues as the Koralia. I will probably run my 2 Koralia 24/7 and get another 2 pumps to run with a controller. I've read that good surface agitation and flow is even more important in a taller tank for oxygenation.

Hopefully we'll get some more people to chime in on this topic.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I was looking at the ecotechs when I had my red sea. Jesus Christ I almost passed out at the prices lol. Unfortunately I had to tear down the tank before I added one but honestly the flow from the returns in the red sea were plenty.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Make sure that you opt for a pump that can aimed towards the surface without much effort. One gripe I have with my Koralia pumps is that the power cord comes out of the back of the unit and therefore prevents me from aiming it towards the surface unless I flip it upside-down and and the cord looped below it. Not the sleekest look haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've noticed that problem with my Koralia pumps too. I can't adjust the angle as well as I'd like and if I push them up higher in the tank then I start getting that water cyclone thing.
    I'm looking at the gyre pumps as an option, but not sure if I like those or if they'd do well in a deeper / taller tank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast