· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Iridescent shark in a bad shape

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I wanted to ask for your opinion about iridescent shark in a very bad shape. Tank size 650L Filtration 4900 L/H ,temp 25 Fish in the tank are 2 iridescent shark "predatory"{the ones that have sharper fins and bigger mouth} about 30cm on iridescent shark 30 cm,2 iridescent shark 20 cm.
    yesterday morning i heard a "bam" and i saw ne of the small sharks on the bottom on his side brethhing rapidly. a few minutes later he got up and swam, looking weak and less active then usual. He didnt want to eat and his tail was injured. a few hours later i saw that one of the big "predatory" sharks bite his tail and like try to eat him adn therefor im assuming that in the morning he bit him and then the snmall shark rushed into the glass and got an head injury. At that evening i transfered him into an isolaion continer which is inside the main tank. a few minutes after he got worse and since then for the last 24 hours he is lying on his side and every a few houres he's swimming alittle and landing in a diffrent position. Im thinking if there are things to do to help him and also im thinking of starting an antibiotic treatment beacause the injuries and his condition can make him vulnrable for infections. The treatment can also cause him stress so i dont know if its a smart thing to do now... will appreciate your opinions, TY

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Maybe he suffered some pretty serious damage to the head from the impact with the glass? I'm not sure what medication can do to help in a situation like that.

I don't want to be "that guy," but you're keeping a school of fish that grow to be extremely large (1m/3ft+) in a small tank. You should really look to getting a tank at least twice the size of what you currently have if you want to keep these animals long term.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    It sounds like a head/spinal injury. The chance of recovery is low and if the fish recovers, the chance of chronic complications is high. If I were you I would euthanize the iridescent shark and evaluate whether the rest of your fish are capable of coexisting.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Maybe he suffered some pretty serious damage to the head from the impact with the glass? I'm not sure what medication can do to help in a situation like that.

I don't want to be "that guy," but you're keeping a school of fish that grow to be extremely large (1m/3ft+) in a small tank. You should really look to getting a tank at least twice the size of what you currently have if you want to keep these animals long term.
    "that guy" Is a good and caring guy who act when he sees something wrong. You are right about the tank size and you are right to say that. the reason for this situation is that all of those fish are fish that ive rescued from bad conditions and trying to give them better. I am thinking of seprating them and getting a bigger tank or even a warm pond cause i think those fish shouldent be in an aquariume at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    A warm pond would be amazing. I've often thought about an indoor pond. Some sort of long shallow shape container or pond liner. If you had the room, you could build a nice sectioned indoor pond. I'm just dreaming....
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-29-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat