· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emerald Crab

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I switched from the cheap powerheads to the cheap wavemakers haha I have a Jebao SW-2 on surge mode aimed at my return so I get some decent turbulence and random flow patterns in the tank, but I'd really like to add a second SW-2 on a slave mode to really churn the water around as they alternate pulses.

I'm curious to see your gyre pumps in action. Those should be pretty nice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Me and you both! Hope to have all the wires ran this weekend, then next week have it plumbed. Then hopefully the weekend of the 14th & 15th get the tank wet. Well see how all that goes but that's the plan.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

1 Not allowed!
    Again, great vids!

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    ...Some folks have had bad experiences with emeralds in which they eat their corals and in some rare occasions their fish....
    The bad experience I've consistently had with emerald crabs is (at least for me) they don't tend to last long after all the nuisance algae disappears. Never had them act belligerent toward corals or other livestock in the tank, though with crustaceans, there's always that risk, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    ..My nutrients are almost non-existent and I still had persistent algae problems...
    If there are persistent nuisance algae problems then there is a nutrient issue.

The algae is simply up-taking the nutrients at rate near equivalent to that of nutrient-production in the tank. So test kits reflecting low nutrients levels in this instance are probably detecting the low levels of 'surplus nutrients' (i.e, total nutrients minus nuisance algae up-take), rather than the true nutrient value.

Not taking manual removal into account, nuisance algae will eventually subside when the levels nutrient levels drop to levels too low to sustain it. Some hobbyists utilize refugiums with macro-algae (which can out-compete nuisance algae when it comes to nutrient up-take from my understanding) or algae scrubbers; but even without those, nutrient levels may ebb as the tank matures.
    Last edited by kaybee; 03-29-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    If there are persistent nuisance algae problems then there is a nutrient issue.

The algae is simply up-taking the nutrients at rate near equivalent to that of nutrient-production in the tank. So test kits reflecting low nutrients levels in this instance are probably detecting the low levels of 'surplus nutrients' (i.e, total nutrients minus nuisance algae up-take), rather than the true nutrient value.

Not taking manual removal into account, nuisance algae will eventually subside when the levels nutrient levels drop to levels too low to sustain it. Some hobbyists utilize refugiums with macro-algae (which can out-compete nuisance algae when it comes to nutrient up-take from my understanding) or algae scrubbers; but even without those, nutrient levels may ebb as the tank matures.
    I get what you're saying but my algae was limited to very small pieces scattered here in there in the tank. This was not like an algae bloom nor was there algae growing on multiple surfaces. These were very isolated and very small areas that persistently grew in the same locations over and over. Maybe four blueberry-sized clusters of bubble algae in the entire tank. You can see the small amount of hair algae in the first video, and that was the only spot that had hair algae. I've heard the argument that you're putting forth mentioned before in other forums, but I'm having a hard time believing that those four tiny persistent bubbles could possibly be sucking up excessive nutrient levels from the entire tank. I wish I had photos of the bubbles so you could see just how small and isolated they were.

The tank gets fed very small amounts of food once or twice a week, gets 40-50% water changes every five days with excessive substrate cleaning, and has enough NO3 and PO4 removal media for a tank ten times its size.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    If the nutrients are available to algae they will utilize it. One thing that I don't fully understand is in my tank I algae film develops on the glass (which I wipe away every 5-days)...and to a lesser extent on my circulation pump and reactor's power head, but not on the rocks (I wonder why that is).

It's been over ten years, but when I started I think I first got assailed by cyano, and then varying degrees of hair algae, and then wire algae (tough stuff), and I think turf algae. I don't think I've had all types at the same time, it seems when water conditions were at a certain point, one type of algae dissipated while another manifested.

Not really nuisance algae (especially since some hobbyists buy the stuff), but there was a period when it had been years since I added anything to the tank, and then mysteriously green calcareous macroalgae (Halimeda) started growing in my tank; pretty cool-looking, it was grew to 5"-8" segmented length. Not sure how it got in the tank (airborne-spores?). Then it too vanished (or so I thought), I very recently discovered 3" segmented strand of halimeda, obscured behind some rocks.
    Last edited by kaybee; 03-29-2018 at 11:50 PM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting. Blows my mind that algae can grow at such low levels of nutrients. I get the slight dusting on my glass and wavemaker. I also had some thicker kind of slimy/filamentous algae growing on my return nozzle but oddly that dried up and most of it flaked off. Now just a little bit remains on the very top of the nozzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Very cool crab in the videos. I can certainly see why these crustaceans are called crabs. They seem to look, and act, perpetually grouchy. As in "crabby".
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.