· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 Gallon

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 20 Gallon

0 Not allowed!
    I've been told that the fish I've got now in my 20 gallon will not work out. So I am wondering what kind of fish should I get for topical community setup?
    Last edited by SoldSpartan; 03-26-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    A nice school of cories would be nice. A school of 6-10 cories with a school of docile tetras (like red or black phantom, lemon, or smaller). Or a school of rasboras, Or another schooling fish type if you'd like lots of fish in your tank. The tiger barbs are nippy and may bother your cories, but ime, a big school keeps the aggression within themselves. You could get away with a smaller group of docile tetras, (stay away from serpea) the barbs would need to be kept in a school of at least 10 to lesson nippiness to your cories, the tank bioload is a bit high to start. Usually you would add one school at a time.

There are many options with 20 gallon tank. Is it a 20g long or high?

Do you want lots of fish in the tank or a couple show cichlids?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-26-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's a 20 gallon high.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    harlequin rasboras or bloodfin tetras in a school of 12, plus a school of 6 bronze or albino bronze cories for the bottom.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to have as many species in one tank as possible.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoldSpartan View Post
    I would like to have as many species in one tank as possible.
    As a beginner, learn how to maintain the tank, and realize that fish are not decorations. Put them in with a proper number, and they will act more naturally and not be stressed out. Stress leads to sickness and death.

If you want more species, get a 55g tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So 6 tiger barbs, 6 cories, and maybe some snails. Does that sound about right for a 20 gallon?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoldSpartan View Post
    So 6 tiger barbs, 6 cories, and maybe some snails. Does that sound about right for a 20 gallon?
    I am hesitant about the tiger barbs due to small numbers of a relatively aggressive fish towards one another. You could get zebra danios, like 12 of them (since they are smaller) with the 6 cories and some nerite snails. Zebra danios and bronze/albino cories are pretty robust species.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    You might also look into a school of Five Banded Barbs as they are not as aggressive as the Tigers. They also have similar colors and markings. http://seriouslyfish.com/species/des...ius-pentazona/
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    If you want more species, get a 55g tank.
    Fantastic advice, right there.

Don't fall into the game of trying to figure out just how many more fish you can cram into a tank. Most of us have been there and done that, usually because we lack the space for more tanks or the budget to set up large ones, and we try justifying adding more by thinking our tanks are "over-filtered" and well-maintained. I can tell you from direct experience that you can stuff a bunch of fish in a smaller tank and all will seem well...until you get larger tanks and spread those same fish out and see just how differently they act when not squeezed together with a bunch of other fish in a small volume.