· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 Gallon

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Dare I ask how much it cost to set up a 55 gallon tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Not much if you have patience and keep an eye on local Craigslist and FB ads. A lot depends on where you are located, but here in Albuquerque I've seen used bare 55g tanks go for about $20-50 and full used setups (tank, filter, heater, and light(s)) go for $75-100. Sure, they're posted for more than that, but they don't usually sell for asking price. You just offer what you'd be willing to pay. If they haven't had any other hits, they'll usually take the deal you offer. Other times they may try to haggle with you a bit.

Big tanks are very fun to set up and stock, and your options for fish, both species and numbers, increase dramatically the larger you go.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Not much if you have patience and keep an eye on local Craigslist and FB ads. A lot depends on where you are located, but here in Albuquerque I've seen used bare 55g tanks go for about $20-50 and full used setups (tank, filter, heater, and light(s)) go for $75-100. Sure, they're posted for more than that, but they don't usually sell for asking price. You just offer what you'd be willing to pay. If they haven't had any other hits, they'll usually take the deal you offer. Other times they may try to haggle with you a bit.

Big tanks are very fun to set up and stock, and your options for fish, both species and numbers, increase dramatically the larger you go.
    Sounds sketchy. I'd rather buy directly from the store.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Plus I forgot the price of a stand.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Meh, used isn’t too bad. Tanks don’t have much to look out for. Just look them over to make sure there are no scratches or chipped glass, or peeling silicone. There isn’t really much in the way of defects that can be hidden.

If you buy new, try to keep a look out for things like the Petco tank sales. Otherwise you’re looking at a couple hundred for a tank/stand combo. Then roughly $40 for heater, and anywhere between $75-150 for appropriately-sized filters depending on type and brand. Lights have a huge range and can be quite pricey for a 55g due to the tank being 4ft long. If only doing fish and artificial decor, you can get away with real basic and inexpensive lights. If you want to go with live plants, you’re looking at $60-160 depending on brand.

You can buy stands, or you can build your own. If you have the hardware and basic carpentry skills, you can make a wooden one for very cheap. I’m lazy and use cinderblocks and 2x8 planks for my larger tanks. Usually like $25-30 in supplies from Home Depot. Then I just drape something like a black sheet over the stand so you can’t see the cinderblocks.
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 03-27-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Meh, used isn’t too bad. Tanks don’t have much to look out for. Just look them over to make sure there are no scratches or chipped glass, or peeling silicone. There isn’t really much in the way of defects that can be hidden.

If you buy new, try to keep a look out for things like the Petco tank sales. Otherwise you’re looking at a couple hundred for a tank/stand combo. Then roughly $40 for heater, and anywhere between $75-150 for appropriately-sized filters depending on type and brand. Lights have a huge range and can be quite pricey for a 55g due to the tank being 4ft long. If only doing fish and artificial decor, you can get away with real basic and inexpensive lights. If you want to go with live plants, you’re looking at $60-160 depending on brand.

You can buy stands, or you can build your own. If you have the hardware and basic carpentry skills, you can make a wooden one for very cheap. I’m lazy and use cinderblocks and 2x8 planks for my larger tanks. Usually like $25-30 in supplies from Home Depot. Then I just drape something like a black sheet over the stand so you can’t see the cinderblocks.
    Do you have a video of building a stand with 2x8 planks and cinderblocks?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Realistically I'm going spend now and get a new 10 gallon tank rather than wait a couple of months to get a 55 gallon tank. I've just got the bite that badly; plus I got a stand from the good old days for 10 gallon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoldSpartan View Post
    Realistically I'm going spend now and get a new 10 gallon tank rather than wait a couple of months to get a 55 gallon tank. I've just got the bite that badly; plus I got a stand from the good old days for 10 gallon.
    Canít fault you there. Thatís what I did. Had a couple 10s and a 29 in the beginning before I started making the jump to bigger tanks.

Do you have a video of building a stand with 2x8 planks and cinderblocks?
    I donít have a video of when I made them, but here is how I do it. I donít like using plywood so I use the planks for the middle shelf. I also donít paint mine since I cover them to hide all the equipment.

6CFBF2C6-530E-4DE5-A440-6CD3A3027432.jpeg

For something like a 20long or a 29high, two pillars are sufficient provided you use big cinderblocks. For anything longer, I suggest a third pillar in the middle like in the above photo.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    10 gallons? Your stocking options just dropped drastically. I'd get a 20 to 30 gallon and build a DIY stand like Boof suggested.

Unless...you're ok with starting out with 'nano' fish or shrimp. It seems you are looking for more though...
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    For a 10g you would have to get what are called nano fish. They tend to priced higher since not many chain pet stores carry them yet. You could start stocking the 10g with plants, which will add a level of complexity, and may satiate your desire for a more full looking tank, until you decide to purchase the much larger tank,