· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help: High nitrite level

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 10 gal. freshwater aquarium with 2 small comet goldfish. The nitrite reading is 5ppm (ammonia and nitrate readings are 0; ph is 8).

The aquarium is 1 week old; I bought/set up everything before knowing about the nitrogen cycle.

After learning about the nitrogen cycle, I realized that I should have waited before adding fish. Since I already have fish, I've put live plants into the tank today and changed 25% of its water today. (The reading was after the water change.)

What should I do? I plan to change out another 25% of the tank's water tomorrow.

One of the goldfish have lived in the tank since the beginning (i.e. 1 week ago); the other was added 3 days ago.

I didn't do any water testing until today (which showed high nitrite and hence reading up and learned about the nitrogen cycle). I bought the test kit because I've had 2 fish deaths.

Is there anything I can do to help besides changing the water? Can I change out 100% of the tank's water?

Thanks.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    chronology:
    day 1: bought aquarium/filter/decorations, filled with water, added 2 1" comet goldfish
    day 3: 1 goldfish died, changed 25% of tank's water.
    day 4: added 2 more 1" comet goldfish
    day 6: 1 of the new goldfish died.
    day 7: today, bought test kit, learned nitrogen cycle, changed 25% of tank's water, added live plants.

(All tap water has been conditioned.)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    You should be returning the goldfish or finding another home for them. That tank will not be adequate. Then, cycle properly and find fish better suited for a 10g tank.

In the meantime, do a couple of back to back water changes each day of 50-75% until the nitrites are below .25%.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a way to keep the fish? Son is rather attached to them and have named them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    If you are willing to get a much bigger tank to properly care for them, 75-90 gallon or so.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I think we'll stay with the 10gal tank; our escape route is to send the fish to a friend's koi pond when (if) they get too big or when son stops showing interest (i.e. feeding/cleaning them).

Today, I tested the water again.
    Nitrite 2ppm
    Nitrate 30ppm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    What is your ammonia reading?...what kind of test kit do you use?...what kind of water conditioner?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    How much are you feeding your fish?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia reading is 0 the first time; I skipped testing it the last time. I'll test again later today.
    The testing kit I use is API Freshwater aquarium master test kit. The conditioner I use is API Tap water conditioner.

We fed them goldfish flakes for 2 days. Then we switched to a sinking pellet food (which fish seems to like more than the flakes). We may have over fed them a bit as son likes to feed them. I noticed a tank smell after switching to the pellet food (do tanks normally smell? or is ti just the food type used?); since the tank is in son's bedroom, I'm thinking about going back to the flakes.

Also, because the tank in the bedroom, we've been turning off its water filter at nights.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    The tank should have an earthy (pond) smell to it. If there's any strong odors to it, it's probably time for a water change. Filters should be running all the time unless you're doing a water change.
    Last edited by Taurus; 03-25-2018 at 06:07 PM.