· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    ^^Definitely make sure to leave filters on at all times. Try filling the tank higher if it's a waterfall sound, or have the filter output pouring onto a tall ornament or building a spout on the filter output to soften it. If it's the motor, which filter are you using?

Overfeeding causes major problems, that odor you're smelling is most likely rotting uneaten food trapped in the substrate if there is no ammonia. I highly recommend a good gravel siphon and water change asap.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Overfeeding does indeed cause major issues...the fish should only be fed once a day, the amount they can finish eating in a few minutes, and you should even skip a day with no feeding each week....many of us feed our fish every other day.

If your son is very young and can't understand this, I would not let him have access to the food...let him help you feed.

Look into getting Seachem Prime for your water conditioner, it neutralizes ammonia, trItes, and trAtes for 24-48 hours, the API does not.

As recommended above, never turn off the filter unless doing WC's or filter maintenance
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    And since you are in the midst of a fish-in cycle, be sure to read and understand this: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everybody. I feel these 2 fish will survive after reading everything and looking at the water tests.

Will give the Prime water conditioner a try. The filter is Whisper 20i. Its motor is kind of noisy, but not too big a deal to leave it on 24x7.

Told my son that if he can get the fish to grow to 3" (based on growth chart should take 2-3 months), then I'll reward him with an Age of Empires III game. Of course, he immediately asked to use a specific number of days instead of fish size; kids these days are just too smart for their own good. Anyway, he was highly motivated to help with 3x 20% water changes today.

BTW, the smaller fish is named "small Fritz" and the bigger fish is "big Fritz". The dead ones were all named Stockfish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gold View Post
    Thanks everybody. I feel these 2 fish will survive after reading everything and looking at the water tests.

Will give the Prime water conditioner a try. The filter is Whisper 20i. Its motor is kind of noisy, but not too big a deal to leave it on 24x7.

Told my son that if he can get the fish to grow to 3" (based on growth chart should take 2-3 months), then I'll reward him with an Age of Empires III game. Of course, he immediately asked to use a specific number of days instead of fish size; kids these days are just too smart for their own good. Anyway, he was highly motivated to help with 3x 20% water changes today.

BTW, the smaller fish is named "small Fritz" and the bigger fish is "big Fritz". The dead ones were all named Stockfish.
    The come back for fish size is an indication of how well maintenance has been kept up. If he does well with maintenance, then the fish can reach 3 inches in less time. If he does poorly, then it will only have gained 1".

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Good water conditions can be trickier to maintain the smaller a tank is, as well, especially with fish that have large bioloads, like goldfish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Just an update:

Firstly, thanks for everybody's help.

Our 2 Fritzs (the names for the 2 1" goldfish) are still alive.
    Water is 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.
    Everything seems to be going well ATM.
    Little Fritz (the smaller of the goldfish) developed fin rot but fully recovered.
    Son still likes the fish a lot and looks forward to feeding them each day.

Thanks again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad, it looks like you got your tank cycled, do you have a nitrate test? Or bring a sample of your tank water to your LFS to test nitrate, just to confirm your tank has now cycled.

Good for you, finrot can be treated with daily fresh water changes and aquarium salt with a lot of husbandry effort, so good on you!

Does your son change the water? I don't know how old he is, but changing water is better for the Fritzs than feeding. I'm guessing he is not overfeeding now, but to give him more to do, you can never change out too much water. Just leave the filter alone and don't clean ornaments to retain the beneficial bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Son is 7; he helps me with the water changes, he likes to vacuum the gravel. My Nitrate test showed 20ppm.

The tank/fish was an impulse purchase after an aquarium visit; so now I'm faced with the problem of spring break and summer vacations (nobody will be tending the fish). Doing some research right now. These fish are survivors so it'd be terrible if they die because of our vacations.