· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default routine cleaning

0 Not allowed!
    How often should I take my tank apart for cleaning? I've read two weeks and one month. So far I have been doing it about every three weeks. When I see tiny particulates in the water, I tear it down for cleaning. It seems stressful for the fish, but once the tank is filled again, they settle down.

i'd like to take the fish out while I'm cleaning, but that really makes them freak out. If I try netting them, they go balistic and start jumping. I cut down on the depth of gravel since it seems to hide droppings and any food that is missed at feeding time. i take the rocks out one at a time, scrub them in a bucked of tank water, same with the plants. The gravel I vacuum. I need to pull apart the filter soon and am dreadng it.

Is complete tank cleaning one of those case by case things, or is there a set time period?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

4 Not allowed!
    I never clean my tanks beyond the occasional scraping the algae off the glass and doing water changes. I deep vac my sand bed in my saltwater setup to remove waste that goes down in there, but I don't even touch my substrates in my planted freshwater tanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Most folks will break down and clean their filters, but I've never really heard of people tearing down their tanks and taking everything out and cleaning them. When you do that you are removing all the beneficial bacteria/microfauna that is trying to grow in your tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    complete cleaning is only done when putting the aquarium in storage or sterilization after a really bad outbreak of disease or parasites

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    complete cleaning is only done when putting the aquarium in storage or sterilization after a really bad outbreak of disease or parasites
    This is the only time I tear down.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Not to mention the stress on the fish. All the diatoms, slime and weird coatings you see will dissipate on their own, until then, it looks more natural

Yeah, You shouldn't remove good bacteria that may be colonizing on your decor, especially when just starting out. I skim siphon the substrate in my planted tanks, fan through thick plant covers with my siphon and fan tight spots, but I do not move my hardscape. My fish would freak out if I removed the hardscape to clean it!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I'm with the others. No need to take a tank apart for any reason other than storage or a really bad issue of some sort that might require a complete redo. I have a few tanks for which I don't/can't even clean substrate because of all the plants. I clean filters about once a month, media is rinsed every water change and glass get scraped if needed, but that's rarely in my tanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Makes sense. My tank generally looks clear. Every now and then I see particulates that are not bubbles from the water cascading from the filter. In the past, if I have done a deep cleaning when the fish appear to be breathing a little harder than usual. When I was trolling for information online and in other forums, I found information that said the tanks need to have everything cleaned every two weeks.

i'm wondering if I get the particulates in the water from the biosrubber that has the thick coating on it. I'll be due for a filter change soon and will rinse the stuff off the bioscrubber then. It has to be slowing or preventing my tank from cycling. I know to rinse with tank water, but how do you know if you are rinsing off the BB as well? The one downside of the whispers is the filter changes. the BB grows on the bioscrubber, and that stays in the filter, but the filter bag needs to be changed. I looked at some of the systems that cycle water, filter it and return it to the tank. They are expensive and seem to be made for tanks that are huge, 200 gallons up. Does anyone use those and if so, what do you think of them?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Exactly what filter systems are you talking about? If you provide the name or a link to it, this will help us to provide the correct info.
    Also, if you are having so many concerns about your Whisper I would suggest replacing it with an AquaClear and keep the Whisper for a backup. It will elevate the need for replacing the filter bags which saves money. It will also help to keep your tank in a correct cycle as you gain more experience.
    Be careful where you get your info from, as having to clean your tank every few weeks is so wrong. It probably was adding to the issues you have been having with the tank. Keeping things simple and not messing around with the tank or the fish, especially as you are learning, will help to keep things stable. Just my 2cents.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    For now can you modify what type of media you keep in your whisper? Maybe rinse the bioscrubber lightly in tank water a week before or after you change out the filter bag. Cleaning and changing within the same week will take a big bite out of your beneficial bacteria colony. Do you have, or have you seen ceramic biomedia? The balls and rings are especially made with the most surface area to provide BB a place to grow. The majority of your BB will attach there. You could ditch the whisper filter bags and customize your filter media if you want. A layer of Polyfill from Wal-Mart, then a media bag filled with ceramic media is what I have in my HOBs, even my penguin with a biowheel. I rinse the ceramic media bag in old tank water lightly when I change the water weekly. The Polyfill can be replaced when you feel it's dirty, that varies from tank to tank.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast