· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    HOB = Hang On Back
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    None of my fish are surface eaters. They don't seem to even notice food that floats.
    Then I wouldn't feed flakes, they might just be making a mess of your tank. You might want to feed sinking pellets in lieu of flakes?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    None of my fish are surface eaters. They don't seem to even notice food that floats.
    They don't nab the pellets as they float down? My fish all eat everything before it hits the substrate. My tetras do not eat from the surface in my 120g. All my fish have learned to jam as many pellets as they can into their mouths.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Generally, I use both pellets and flakes at feeding time. My fish are still all juveniles or teenagers, So i give them the small pellets. Some of my fish are herbivores and some are omnivores. One is pretty small, 1.25 inches and likes brine shrimp, but if that goes in the water it is gone before it hits bottom.

My demasoni will eat anything, but if it is not veg., he spits it out. They all eat spirulina flakes, plankton flakes, and one or both kind of pellets. I try to put the flakes just in front of where the water coming from the filter so that the flakes are pushed under the water. I would agree that flakes are more messy. With even a small pinch, they won't all be eaten, but some want the flakes and not the pellets.

Sometimes I get a white, cotton ball like mold on the pebbles. It comes up the siphon easily, but it seems to grow over night. (I do a head check in the evening to make sure everyone is alive and no one is distressed. ). i'm getting another syphon with a thinner head to get into spaces between the rocks and acrylic front that I can't get right now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    What type of substate do you have?

If you can, try to get all your fish on pellets. Buy the smallest veggie and meaty pellets. I use the baby size for Hikari, or 0.5mm size for NLS, 1mm for North Fin. Also I big hit is Fluval Bug Bites. The blue case has really small pellets. They contain green peas and black soldier larvae.

Honestly, this is my opinion, but I would only feed one type of food as a staple. Like a pinch of veggie pellets and a pinch of meaty pellets. The brine shrimp I'd feed only add a treat so that small one starts eating pellets like the other. You'd be surprised how much they can fit into their mouths, even my juvie angelfish. Like I mentioned, it might take them a while to get onto pellets, but those flakes are so messy and most cichlids won't get enough nutrition per bite with flakes. Crush the pellets if you have to, but even my little gold tetras eat 0.5mm NLS Grow pellets.

I drop the pinch of small pellets for my fish that don't eat from the surface below the water line. In one spot. The fish frenzy feed (along with my rams who have learned to push into the frenzy) before the pellets hit the substrate. If I want them to eat more, I let more go again until is all eaten up. Try letting the veggie pellets go on one side, and meaty pellets in the other. All types of fish I own learn where the food falls lol. Good luck marc :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456