· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I was getting about 0.5 to 1 on the ammonia test in my API kit. Yesterday I took the filter out, left the bioscrubbers soaking in tank water that I took out and put into a clean bucket. I tore the filter down, used a toothbrush to scrub the inside of the plastic pipe and got a whole bunch of slimy crap out of it. I also scrubbed the inside of the housing, then changed the filters. When I put it back together, it cleared my water up. I didn't touch anything else. I changed the filter about two and a half weeks ago, and they should have been good for a month, but they were really filthy. I'm hoping that cleaning the intake pipe will keep the water more clear.

Several of you have asked why I do daily water changes. I'm wondering if part of the problem is that when I put the water back in, although I pour it over a tall cave so it doesn't cause gravel and fish to fly around, it may still stir up some stuff from under the gravel. Can I just put the prime in on a daily basis as opposed to water changes every day with prime in the water I pour back in?

I still have the original smaller whisper, but the EX 70 is big enough that I couldn't get the smaller filter next to it. The acrylic tanks are pretty specific as to the holes cut in the top, and the filter can't be hung anywhere else. Quite frankly, I don't know why it hasn't recycled yet. The bioscrubbers have plenty of bacteria on them and I don't let them dry out. How much am I slowing the cycling by the water changes? My TDS stays the same and the fish eat everything I give them save a small amount. At night the the six mystery snails and two large apple snails work along the sides. My petricola cat, though still only about 1.75" is active at night eating what ever he can find. Maybe I am just being paranoid about the ammonia. If the Seachem prime is keeping the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates (provided they are there) from being toxic, maybe I should just let the system do its thing. I still don't get any nitrites or nitrates when I test the water with my API master kit. Just the ammonia, which if the detoxified version can cause the test to turn green, should I stop worrying about it? I would think that if it were really ammonia, I would be losing fish or at the least have them coloring down. So far their colors are fantastic as is their appetites.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Just to make sure, are your ammonia tests only done 24hrs after a WC? What is your ammonia testing today 24 hrs after your last WC?

You are not registering any nitrates? You really have to shake the crap out of the bottle#2 for 30 secs and then the test tube for a full minute. I hope this helps.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys,
    you have given me a good deal of information. I honestly don't know how your keep your tanks so clean. The other day, I noticed my fish opening their mouths more frequently and wider that I associate with either difficulty breathing or chewing. Since I hadn't just fed them........
    I wanted to check the system, and when I pulled the bioscrubber out, there was almost nothing on it. I hadn't changed anything or rinsed it for a while and when I put it back last time, it had its fair share of gunk. The filter bags were completely non salvageable, even after I tried to clean them in the old tank water. The petricola cat is still a juvenile, my mystery snails are very small yet and my apple snails are medium sized. I don't feed much, but have to make sure that all their needs are met.

When I saw so many fish gaping, I took everything out, leaving about a quarter tank for of water. I swirled the gravel, then di the pour out, add, pour out til it was reasonably clean, scrubbed all my rocks and put them back in the positions they were in. It didn't seem to freak out the fish. One half hour after doing that and changing the filter (the bioscrubber was left soaking in old tank water) the fish no longer had that strange breathing and everyone is doing fine.

the fish seem resilient. I don't plan on getting any more fish. I have 11 now and see why cichlid tanks are so packed. Sometimes one fish will chase another, only to lose interest when they either lose their quarry or bump into another fish.

does anyone know of a sinking live food? both the wax worms and freeze dried shrimp plus the frozen shrimp tend to float which means they are eaten before they can get to the fish that needs it. I really want to do this right, but have to respond to what is in front of me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Get them on sinking pellets. I would recommend 1mm New Life Spectrum Algaemax.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Do you have a siphon cleaner for your substrate-to get he old decaying food out of there? Something like a Python is great for that.

https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho...+water+changer
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Ime, fish gasp when ammonia levels are too high. They can also gasp with low oxygen levels or a gill parasite, but since your tack is still cycling, I'm guessing it was due to ammonia. Changing out the water is the best idea, but leave your rocks and decor alone. Also, stirring up the substrate is a bad idea since out releases all the gunk into the water column your fish breathe and cause ammonia to spike even in a cycled tank.

So siphon the gravel with gravel siphon only (I gravel vac at every water change). If I saw fish gasping, I would add Prime to immediately alleviate toxicity, then I'd do a large WC like you did, adding more Prime to the new water to neutralize chloramines and heavy metals.

Have you added a second HOB yet?

Also, if your food floats everywhere and your fish have a hard time eating it all at one feeding, either reduce feeding more or try turning off your filter for two minutes while they feed. You shouldn't have to do this though with the type of fish you're keeping, and DON'T forget to turn the filter back on!!!!!

I think you'll have less problems with pellets. NLS is even better at retaining it's shape when soaked, so it shouldn't muck up the filter. I use pellets for all my fish as a staple, and frozen foods occasionally, but I feed my cichlids by hand and make sure my tetras eat all that I give them before the pellets hit the substrate.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-04-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I should add I've had to train all my fish to eat pellets, I ween babies onto them by crushing the pellets into small pieces to mimic flake. Even new adult fish I've had to train. I offer pellets only, then by day 3 they usually accept it as food. Once one fish tries it, the rest usually follow. Spitting out and retaking is normal when training. Now all my fish jam as many pellets as they can into their mouths. It's actually kind of funny to watch them with their food score.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 04-04-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Do you have a siphon cleaner for your substrate-to get he old decaying food out of there? Something like a Python is great for that.

https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho...+water+changer
    I do have a siphon and run it over the gravel daily. I usually disturb the gravel a bit to loosen the debris. Its pretty goods as far as not sucking up the gravel, and if it does, I just hit it lightly on a rock and the gravel falls out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    my fish drawer probably has way more food than it should. Several kinds of pellets from medium to small as well as freeze dried shrimp, spirulina and other flakes. I don't feed them all at once, just try to pick what each fish needs and rotate. There are some that I put in every time I feed like the round algae pellets crushed up. They seem to be learning.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Ime, fish gasp when ammonia levels are too high. They can also gasp with low oxygen levels or a gill parasite, but since your tack is still cycling, I'm guessing it was due to ammonia. Changing out the water is the best idea, but leave your rocks and decor alone. Also, stirring up the substrate is a bad idea since out releases all the gunk into the water column your fish breathe and cause ammonia to spike even in a cycled tank.

So siphon the gravel with gravel siphon only (I gravel vac at every water change). If I saw fish gasping, I would add Prime to immediately alleviate toxicity, then I'd do a large WC like you did, adding more Prime to the new water to neutralize chloramines and heavy metals.

Have you added a second HOB yet?

Also, if your food floats everywhere and your fish have a hard time eating it all at one feeding, either reduce feeding more or try turning off your filter for two minutes while they feed. You shouldn't have to do this though with the type of fish you're keeping, and DON'T forget to turn the filter back on!!!!!

I think you'll have less problems with pellets. NLS is even better at retaining it's shape when soaked, so it shouldn't muck up the filter. I use pellets for all my fish as a staple, and frozen foods occasionally, but I feed my cichlids by hand and make sure my tetras eat all that I give them before the pellets hit the substrate.
    HOB? I added a second filter, not great but it helps. I noticed the pelleted food stays in the same area when it breaks down rather than floating all over. Usually with flakes, I put them right in front of the filter because the water pushes them down. None of my fish are surface eaters. They don't seem to even notice food that floats.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast