· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Why are you doing daily WCs? If it because you lost your cycle and are basically doing a "fish in" cycle then I wouldn't be adding any more fish until you have corrected the problem.
    The fish In was not my idea. I had bought my tank, let it run for a couple weeks, then started a fishless cycle. Once it cycled, I started bringing in the fish. There was a mechanical problem with the filter, the cycle was thrown and the only thing I could do was try to get it back. I had no place to put the fish while it cycled again. Currently it is still not cycling. I have been doing daily water changes and treating with Seachem's Prime. I also have eight snails, six mystery and 2 apple snails plus a juvenile petricola cat. I know the changes are most likely slowing things down, but it is better than dead fish. Since the tap water goes through a water softener, I also use Seachem's calcium/magnesium to replace minerals that are lost through the softener. Without these steps, I believe the fish would be dead. As it is, they are all in good color, eating well, swimming and breathing normally.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I was due for a filter change today, so I lightly rinsed the bioscrubbers in tank water and then set them in a bucket of old tank water. I've settled on 11 fish which aren't due until Weds. That is my limit. there are plenty of caves both large and small. In addition, I have placed the largest cave in such a way that the smaller fish will be able to retreat if there is any big fish little fish aggression. So far they all school together and I have seen no real aggression. Since I'm in my room except for one or two hours a day, I get a chance to see what goes on in there.

I looked at the aquaclear 70. Does the clear plastic above the water break or crack easily? It kind of looks like that, but you can't tell from a picture. The picture of the filter which I got off amazon.com is already loaded. You all seem to customize the filter using different mediums. Can you lay it out in steps? (thanks for the link by the way, I'll look at it after I finish here). I really like the whisper EX 70, but it is expensive to maintain. The filters have to be changed and though they don't cost a ton of money, they do add up. Mine is very quiet except for a soft sound, kind of like a small water fall.
    thanks all,
    marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    What readings are you getting when you test? Are you using anything other than prime and stability?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    I looked at the aquaclear 70. Does the clear plastic above the water break or crack easily? It kind of looks like that, but you can't tell from a picture.
    The filter box that makes up all aquaclear filters is not all that durable, if dropped on the floor by accident they will crack, but if you're careful that shouldn't happen. I think a reasonable alternative to the aquaclear filters are the Seachem Tidal HOB filters. The plastic used for these filters is a bit more durable and I believe these can be set up pretty much like you would set up an aquaclear with filter media. I usually place polyester floss in the bottom of the filter with ceramic Biomax rings filling up the rest of the box.

http://www.seachem.com/tidal-filters.php

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Tidal-Filter-Sicce-Gallon/dp/B01MAYXZUK

Last edited by Taurus; 03-19-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I like the fluval C series filters for ease if cleaning. You don't have to pull them off the tank ever since the media is basically in baskets (for lack or a better descriptive word). I customize the media the same as my Aquaclear filters and they are just as efficient and the price is very comparable to one another. But if your worried about cracking the case the fluvals will reduce the need to pull them entirely unless you are cleaning an impeller or tubes. In over a year I've cleaned my impeller twice and it was the second week cause I couldn't find my tool the first time and found it so pulled and cleaned it properly a couple days later.
    And I maybe mistaken but I'm pretty sure Hagen owns both anyway. :)
    Looks like about a $7 difference between the two I run one or the other on my 20g tanks.
    Fluval C3 Power Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SJQJ46..._Fh9RAbH1SMKVZ
    AquaClear 50 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 50 Carbon, AquaClear 50 Foam & AquaClear 50 BioMax https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000260FUM..._pi9RAbJG5ZH5H
    Last edited by sfsamm; 03-19-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

3 Not allowed!
    For their price...ACs are not the filters they once were. Honestly if I were you Id continue to run the Whisper you have and use what you would spend on its replacement to buy a 2nd filter....like a small canister. You can get a SunSun 302 of ebay for like $40 shipped. This would give you substantially more media capacity than any HOB and you would have multiple filters on the tank which would save you a lot of headache if problems came up with 1. I never run a tank with only 1 filter....it is just not a good idea IMO.

As for breaking the tank down entirely for cleaning....I reserve this for only under special circumstances. Such as in the case you had were you had a great deal of mulm....it made more sense to remove the fish and do a very deep clean. Is also something which can be done every few years should you want to change the substrate or do a very deep cleaning. Still reserving the media and such to keep the bacteria. It is certainly not something you should be doing regularly....however you should be doing regular water changes on the tank.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    For their price...ACs are not the filters they once were. Honestly if I were you Id continue to run the Whisper you have and use what you would spend on its replacement to buy a 2nd filter....like a small canister. You can get a SunSun 302 of ebay for like $40 shipped. This would give you substantially more media capacity than any HOB and you would have multiple filters on the tank which would save you a lot of headache if problems came up with 1. I never run a tank with only 1 filter....it is just not a good idea IMO.
    I like the idea as well Jenn. Whispers have always been pretty good at mechanical filtration and I think it wouldn't be all that difficult to rig up something to get new filter floss in place so you don't have to buy new cartridges. The canister could serve the need for adequate bio-filtration as this tank is going to be fairly densely stocked.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I have a Whisper 10 as a backup, I just trashed the "cartridges" and fill it with ceramic media, same as an AC
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

3 Not allowed!
    Agreed, I buy 10ft rolls of bonded floss/fiber on ebay for like $8....you can cut it to fit the size of the filter and rinse/reuse the stuff for quite a long time. A few "pads" cut to fit in the HOBs is all I use in them for the most part. Ive kind of rekindled my affection for whisper HOBs over the last few years mainly because I can get the 60 model for like $25...and it runs silently for the next 8-10 years. Where my ACs have been letting me down left and right with leaks, impeller, and motor issues. Yes ACs are awesome...they are a very very large volume HOB. BUT(there is always a but) you can typically get a canister for less....which will hold more media. Even if folks arent willing to try a SunSun....you can find Cascade canisters on sale a lot of the time for very cheap. I picked up a Cascade 1000 shipped from Petco for $68 a couple of weeks ago.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    A roll of this lasts me over a year, with weekly replacements in 5 AC HOB's...just toss the old piece and add a new one each week

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-...-x-96/17808679
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast