· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Whatís going on with my plants?

0 Not allowed!
    Iíve been battling this for a while with my plants.... I still canít figure out what it is or whatís causing it. I just started dosing Aquarium Co-Ops Easy Green, in hopes that it can fix the issue. I was told by Cory from Aquarium Co-Op that I should dose enough Easy Green to get my Nitrates around 20-40ppm. I run a UV sterilizer and 2 water circulators. I donít run CO2 yet(not in my budget). Also I do have hard water and my Ph runs a little high.... could that cause this?

75g w/ Ecocomplete
    Fluval Plant 3.0 / 7-8 hours a day.
    Excel once a day
    Easy Green twice a week
    Nitrates: 5.0ppm
    Nitrites: 0ppm
    GH: 150ppm
    KH: 180ppm
    PH: 8.2ppm
    Ammonia: 0

Hydor 450 Canister with Poly-Fil, Matrix, Purigen and Chemi Pure Green.

FYI... I have 3 Nerite Snails, 1 Bristlenose Pleco and 3 Ottos as my cleanup crew.

IMG_4458.jpg
    IMG_4457.jpg
    IMG_4461.jpg
    IMG_4463.jpg
    IMG_4462.jpg
    IMG_4459.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    My first impression is you have too much light for the plants you are growing with no co2. Those Fluval LED fixtures are quite powerful. To have a balanced tank, lighting, ferts and co2 have to coincide. Think of lighting as being the gas petal, but ferts and co2 must match or you will see deficiencies.

Try reducing your photoperiod to 6 hrs max. You could also try employing a siesta, where your light goes out for an hour or two in mid photoperiod, disrupting algae growth but not plant growth.

Or do you have a way to dim the lighting?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That's not something to do with the plants directly. The greenish coating looks like a film of cyanobacteria and/or other algae.
    Without knowing the specifics of your water parameters, it can be generally said that there is some kind of imbalance between nutrients, CO2 and light that is allowing algae to use the excess that plants can't use.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I kind of thought it looked a bit like cyanobacteria, but with all the LED spectrum colours, it's difficult to know if I'm seeing the color of the algae properly? I hope for you it's not cyano.

If co2 is not something you want to do, lower the lighting until the algae goes away. You may not need as much fertilizer either then. I know some ppl dose nitrates for their plants, but 40ppm seems like a ton! No way I'd keep my nitrates at 40ppm for the health of the fish. I never register nitrate in my planted tanks, they get used up faster than the bioload produces them, but I can have a heavily planted tank with little deficiencies. I don't believe increasing nitrates will solve your issue, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-16-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat