· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    My current quarantine procedure is as follows

Measure the TDS value of the water of the fish in the bag. This will be important for the bath water prior to placing into quarantine. Typically the TDS is higher, so I use salt to compensate the difference within 50ppm. Fish is then put in a methylene blue bath at 1ml per gallon for 1 hour. Afterwards, it is put into quarantine tank. I use Paraguard with salt (depends on fish) to preemptively treat for ich or possible scrapes. Treatment is 2-3 weeks, using full dose of Paraguard, 2-3 teaspoons of salt per gallon at 82-84F. There is 1 week rest period as I bring the salt down and make sure the medication is completely gone, no more than 25% water change per day. Then I start with a round worm nematode treatment with levamisole for 1 day at 2ppm dosing. Spend the next 3 days removing any residual medication. Treat with Prazipro for 1 week, and spend the next day or 2 removing the med with over 50% water changes. Start with a 2nd dosing of 2ppm levamisole, and removing the medication. So I am at about 5-6 weeks quarantine at this point. I start to get the fish to consume gel based food, so that I can use 3% epsom salt solution to create the gel food, to deal with intestinal protozoans, feeding exclusively for 3 days. By week 7, I introduce bacteria from the main tank buy putting gallons (1-3) of old main tank water, filter media, and tank decorations into QT. By week, I divide QT and put a candidate from the main tank into QT and observe for a few weeks. Finally, all inhabitants in QT move to the main tank, sometime by the 3rd month of QT.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, I'm keeping that post ^^

A lot of work, but worth it IMO. Thank you very much for explaining what you do for QT Rock :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    My current quarantine procedure is as follows.
    Rock, does your procedure vary from the above if the fish is wild caught?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    I QT all new fish from reputable sources for around 1 month and in QT whether sick or not receive prazi, general cure, and a week of ich/external treatment with the kordon.
    I think that's an important thing to keep in mind as well, only buy fish from reputable sources and do your homework if you're not familiar with the shipment source.

I was bitten with a demon shipment this last late summer, suspected lymphosistis, anchor worms and I'm pretty sure some other internal parasite because I continued to lose fish for months. Luckily I QT'd and now keep all fish from this tank isolated in a spare bedroom far away from my other tanks. I'm just so grateful I didn't infect my own tanks with it. Like I need more problems.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Rock, does your procedure vary from the above if the fish is wild caught?
    That's what I do because the fish store that I shop at contains wild caught fish.

Side note: more than 90% of the clown loaches in stores are wild caught.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    That's what I do because the fish store that I shop at contains wild caught fish.

Side note: more than 90% of the clown loaches in stores are wild caught.
    Well that kills the 'QT at the LFS' concept.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Good LFS or sellers do some sort of QT practices prior to selling the fish. The shop I used to manage would do 7-10 days of medication prior to selling the fish with the fish in the back room....not perfect but it did really cut back on loss and issues.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Good LFS or sellers do some sort of QT practices prior to selling the fish. The shop I used to manage would do 7-10 days of medication prior to selling the fish with the fish in the back room....not perfect but it did really cut back on loss and issues.
    I wish the stores here did that. Meds are considered a last resort. I can't even purchase half the meds here. While one LFS might believe in keeping their tanks as healthy as possible via WCs and planted tanks to give fish a fighting chance, the other LFS won't even keep up with removing dead bodies and have sold me sick fish multiple times (when I was starting out). Either way, meds are only used when infection/parasite symptoms are observed.

I used to QT for 3 months or more but I did not treat prophylactically.
    That method bit me in the butt and a parasitic internal nematode snuck in.....

I'm using Rocksor's method in the future once I'm comfortable with my tanks and stock as is. Right now all my tanks are considered QT tanks
    -Kat