· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Considering Yo Yo Loaches

0 Not allowed!
    Tank size: 40 gallons

I am considering adding some loaches to my community tank. Maybe 6 yo yo loaches with 6 kuhli loaches. I just now discovered the yo yo loach for some reason. Can anyone give me some advice on these please? Are they aggressive or would they make good community mates?
    My First Aquarium Adventure - 40B Community Tank: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    what about the dwarf chain loach? Smaller, and are quite boisterous in a school of 10+. @WhistlingBadger can give you his experiences with them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    what about the dwarf chain loach? Smaller, and are quite boisterous in a school of 10+. @WhistlingBadger can give you his experiences with them.
    Thanks, I will look into those. Don't know much about those either!!

Wow, the dwarf chain loach looks awesome!! Would love to have at least 10 in my 40 gallon community tank. Unfortunately they are a little bit more pricey than the kuhli loach from TWS. $13/fish, but I do like how they look!!
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 03-13-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Dwarf chain loaches are really neat, but kinda pricey (for me, anyway)...$13 each from TWS...their yo-yo's are 6/$21
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just read about the dwarf chain loaches eating snails. Anyone know if they would eat my assassin snails? Or are those too big for them? Not really too worried about it because I have a million assassins, just curious more than anything.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Need some advice on feeding my bottom feeders.

Bottom feeders I currently have and what I currently feed:

7 Sterbai cory's
    1 BNP
    RCS
    Assassin snails

I feed a pinch of Omega One quality flakes, 10-12 Hikari sinking wafers, and one algae wafer broken into pieces every other day. Frozen bloodworms (one cube) once a week or every other week.

If I add 8-10 loaches to my tank, how much should I increase my feeding by?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    1Hi, Wolfgang. A school of 8-10 dwarf chain loaches has lived in my 55g for a few years now. I've never seen them show the slightest interest in eating snails (I have assassins and mystery snails).

I have kept a LOT of different fish species through the years, and these are undoubtedly one of my favorites. Probably my all-time favorite bottom-feeder. They are very active (without being aggressive or obnoxious), full of personality, and very attractive to look at. They have this funny habit of taking a little break now and then and just sort of sprawling out for a rest in whatever position they happen to be in. Their interactions with each other are really interesting, too. They even make little clicking noises at each other that are sometimes audible across the room!

I think a school of 10 would be perfect in a 40 gallon. There are only two drawbacks: The price, yes. I had to save up for my school. And sometimes they arrive in rather bad shape and there can be losses, though I suspect that's more a fault of my LFS' supplier than the species itself.

In short:
    kirk.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    @WhistlingBadger thank you very much for that information!! I've never had any issues with my supplier, I always buy from www.wetspottropicalfish.com and so far so good. I think I will go with the dwarf chain loaches, probably 8-10. They look really neat!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    1Hi, Wolfgang. A school of 8-10 dwarf chain loaches has lived in my 55g for a few years now. I've never seen them show the slightest interest in eating snails (I have assassins and mystery snails).

I have kept a LOT of different fish species through the years, and these are undoubtedly one of my favorites. Probably my all-time favorite bottom-feeder. They are very active (without being aggressive or obnoxious), full of personality, and very attractive to look at. They have this funny habit of taking a little break now and then and just sort of sprawling out for a rest in whatever position they happen to be in. Their interactions with each other are really interesting, too. They even make little clicking noises at each other that are sometimes audible across the room!

I think a school of 10 would be perfect in a 40 gallon. There are only two drawbacks: The price, yes. I had to save up for my school. And sometimes they arrive in rather bad shape and there can be losses, though I suspect that's more a fault of my LFS' supplier than the species itself.
    Thomas, I can't remember, do you have any plecos in the tank with the DCL's?

I ask because of this little tidbit: "This species is generally considered to be an excellent choice for the community aquarium, but caution should possibly be exercised since conflicting observations exist. While some aquarists consider it to be peaceful over the long-term others report the opposite, with sedentary or long-finned fishes most at risk."

Source: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...a-sidthimunki/

Do you ever feed live foods?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Beware the yoyo loach, as it can harrass fish to death, and this one killed predatory murray cods