· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: growth rate

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default growth rate

0 Not allowed!
    When I ordered my cichlids, they were all juveniles. One of them was an electric yellow Lion's cove cichlid. He seems to be growing very slowly. The others all seem like they are growing. Both he and my yellow top Mbamba don't seem to be growing.
    I do a head count every day, take notes and then feed. They are all in good color, swim normally and all eat, but I don't see any growth in those two. Do some species just grow more slowly?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Some species do grow more slowly. Stress and dominance also plays a part in growth rate.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe its because they are juveniles, but all my fish tend to school. I haven't seen any overt aggression, even in species that are supposed to be more aggressive. For instance, my demasoni shares a cave with my red zebra. They are competitive at feeding time, but its more racing to a piece of falling food than pushing, shoving or biting. There are several species of cichlids but only one of each. I tried to get the peaceful larger fish and any aggressive fish are smaller. I have three more coming, but that is as packed as I want it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    Maybe its because they are juveniles...
    This.

Mbuna aggression manifests and develops as the fish mature.

The aggressive nature of, say, a 2.5" male juvie red zebra is far different from that exhibited by a multi-year old full grown 5" inch male red zebra throwing its dominance around.

I had a 4.5" obnoxious male pseudotropheus socolofi lay claim to half of a 125gal tank (meaning half the tank was his, the other half was for the two dozen other mbuna's' he'd terrorize any fish who ventured into his half of the tank).

Juveniles are incapable of displaying this sort of behavior. (If memory serves correct, I relocated the belligerent to a solitary tank for some time until the social dynamics of the tank changed, reintroduced him, and as 'the new fish' he lost his edge).
    Last edited by kaybee; 03-17-2018 at 01:53 AM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    There are several escape routes through open ended caves, passages and fake greenery if someone decides to go after another. I've got a red zebra as well. How long does it take a demasoni to attain full size?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends of variables. From a 1-day old 8 mm fry to a 2.75"-3.25" specimen (sorry for the assorted measurement systems), about two or so years, give or take. I know you're not interested in breeding them, but they'll reach sexual maturity before this.

Starting with a small juvie (much larger than a day old fry) time to full size is shorter.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Answering your first question, Types of fish grow at different rates. Individual fish from the same spawn grow at a different rate. You can raise a spawn of 30 fish and some will be double the size of they're tank mates, you just don't know why for sure. Most of the mbuna I've ever had can spawn as young as 9 months. Most are young adults at a year, with full size adults at 2 years. Kaybee's socolofi story is the reason why I suggest getting extra fish when they're small, so you can weed out the meanies.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    so far, there have only been sqabbles. My mbuna was a teenager when I bought him, and looks to be fully sized. The same goes for my apache peacock. There are three very small fish. One is a black congo calvus, a poli and a fire red uganda. All thre3 are 1 1/2" They other fish act like they aren't even there. I built a cave formation that only they can get into. I only have one per species which i would think that helps tone down the .aggression. I tried to get only males, but some were unsexed small juveniles. They must all have sleeping areas, because when they light goes out, they all. disappear except the petrolie who likes to be active qt night. He does his petroli dance if the room light comes on. He is a real character