· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    When they are first growing their bristles, they are tiny spikes. I look for small spikes along the lip line. Not every male grows long bristles IME, some of the males have longer bristles than others.

Here is a pic of my year old male albino pleco.
    20180304_224533.jpg

Also my female BN are very noticeably rounder in the belly, like fissh's second pic. That female looks to be full of eggs though. It goes the same for other plecos like tiger plecos too.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-12-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you all very much for the help!! I think I have a female!! If it were a male and I've had it for almost one year I would definitely start to see little spikes by the lip at least, right?
    My First Aquarium Adventure - 40B Community Tank: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, IME, I see small spikes like in the pic above, the ones on the side of the lip and the first one on the lip along the nose. The longer spikes on the nose grew later. He has the least nose spikes out of all the males I have presently.

Btw, if you have enough fish to eat to BN babies, you may never even see them. If left to do so, they will breed, but being overrun with plecos is not a problem in my tank with angelfish.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-12-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Here's the large BNP I had that I ultimately sold. He had an impressive snout but he was several years old by the time of this pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I have this pic, not a pretty pic, but the albino BN is male and the brown one is a female, both about a year old. They are already reproducing by this age.
    20180312_152054.jpg

Notice how long the male's snout is compared to the female? Also she is probably producing eggs, but females are much rounder even at that age. You can see a small stomach bulge if you look close. I think my old BN male pleco keeps growing his bristles. The spikes start to split and become almost alien-like, they are such funny interesting little plecos lol.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

New fish ;-) - steeler58   you need a shrimp now that they have arrived - Jwfish13   Sorry for your loss - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I really like plecos!! They are very fascinating to me!!

So if I were to get a second pleco, I should try to get a female to go with another female unless I want a bunch of babies, correct?

Does anyone have experience ordering a specific pleco sex from TWS?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Try to get a female, but if your Super Red pleco ends up being male, it's not that big of a deal if you have fish that would eat the babies. I see them being eaten by my angelfish in my 90g. And fat angelfish bellies. I only grow out what I want to, the babies don't stand a chance in the tank. It's good nutrition for the angelfish. My Columbian tetras would have taken care of that issue too ;) Any fish that hunts tiny small fish and bugs.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Try to get a female, but if your Super Red pleco ends up being male, it's not that big of a deal if you have fish that would eat the babies. I see them being eaten by my angelfish in my 90g. And fat angelfish bellies. I only grow out what I want to, the babies don't stand a chance in the tank. It's good nutrition for the angelfish. My Columbian tetras would have taken care of that issue too ;) Any fish that hunts tiny small fish and bugs.
    Okay cool thank you!! Yeah my Colombian tetra would probably do the same.