· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Orange gunk in filter

0 Not allowed!
    I have a betta and recently (less than a month) received a new tank and filter/pump for him. I had the same kit previously but some pieces weren't working properly so the company sent me a new set. The water in the tank though has become more murkier more often though and I am constantly having to change it. When I went to change the filter itself there was some orange gunk on it. I am worried he may be sick because he doesn't seem as active as he once was. Any ideas of how to rid the orange gunk and get him to his old self again?

I have had him for about 7 months now.

Also I am leaving to go out of town for a week, do the betta food blocks actually work or are they even safe?

Thank you in advanced!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sved12 View Post
    I have a betta and recently (less than a month) received a new tank and filter/pump for him. I had the same kit previously but some pieces weren't working properly so the company sent me a new set. The water in the tank though has become more murkier more often though and I am constantly having to change it. When I went to change the filter itself there was some orange gunk on it. I am worried he may be sick because he doesn't seem as active as he once was. Any ideas of how to rid the orange gunk and get him to his old self again?

I have had him for about 7 months now.

Also I am leaving to go out of town for a week, do the betta food blocks actually work or are they even safe?

Thank you in advanced!
    Depends. Are you thinking the orange stuff in the filter looks like something organic or something from the manufacturer. Also pictures will help.
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default hi!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    Depends. Are you thinking the orange stuff in the filter looks like something organic or something from the manufacturer. Also pictures will help.
    Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as I just cleaned out every aspect of the tank. Every single rock, and piece of the filter/pump set up. I found some of the same orange gunk on one of the fake soft plants, so I am assuming it is not from the manufacturer. Also he was swimming a little oddly (before the deep cleaning). Almost as if he was struggling to swim downwards and doesn't have much of an appetite. His fins were not sprawled out like they normally are but after cleaning the tank really well they opened back up and he seems to be swimming a little better. He still has no appetite, though.

I am just cautious to leave him while I go out of town for a week with a food block or if I should try to find other arrangements, just in case he really is sick!

Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sved12 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as I just cleaned out every aspect of the tank. Every single rock, and piece of the filter/pump set up. I found some of the same orange gunk on one of the fake soft plants, so I am assuming it is not from the manufacturer. Also he was swimming a little oddly (before the deep cleaning). Almost as if he was struggling to swim downwards and doesn't have much of an appetite. His fins were not sprawled out like they normally are but after cleaning the tank really well they opened back up and he seems to be swimming a little better. He still has no appetite, though.

I am just cautious to leave him while I go out of town for a week with a food block or if I should try to find other arrangements, just in case he really is sick!

Thank you!
    Sved12 Unfortunately this sounds like he is lethargic. When you get the chance, please post your ammonia reading. If you do not have this, please seek out buying one from hopefully somewhere local or online. There are many different causes to why your betta may be having trouble moving and not eating but the majority of the time this is caused by a presence of ammonia from the fish's feces. Its hard to say what the orange thing is but it may just simply be Diatoms. A lot of times they are darker brown but can be a lighter brown, almost looking like an orange. It could also simply be an algae. Please post your ammonia results when you get the time and please stay away from all forms of vacation feeders. These are often times made as a gimmick sale. Generally, most fish can go two weeks without food before they begin to get stressed. If you are gone more than a week or two, get someone to feed him, if not, just let him be and he should be fine.
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape