· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy Phones

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   Have another clown loach ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Just to put in my two cents worth, I don't like cell phones and I don't use them. Hubby has a Trac phone for emergencies, only. No internet, no texting, no games, no photographing -- just calling when absolutely needed. Nobody else has the number. He doesn't phone while driving. Half the places we go, he can't even get a signal. Cell phones are a pain. Just my two cents worth. Obviously, I can't make any recommendations for your new phone. People we know are aware that if they want to contact us, they can e-mail or use our land line. If we aren't home or can't pick up, they can leave a message. If it's urgent, one of us will pick up immediately, or get back to them ASAP. We screen our calls because a good 90% of them are phone solicitors or other junk calls.

A lot of fatal car wrecks happen because people are phoning or texting behind the wheel. Pedestrians don't watch where they're going, because they're always looking down at their phones. We had a near miss when a lady on her phone ran a red light while we were in an intersection, narrowly missing us.

Purse snatchers and other criminals welcome such inattentiveness. They're looking for people who aren't alert to their surroundings. People trip and fall and run into things because they aren't observing the real world around them.

This complicated technology may be convenient and even fun for many folks, but we can live without it. When I'm in someone's company, I want them to talk directly to me, not be distracted while I'm trying to communicate with them. We've seen couples walking hand in hand, texting each other instead of talking. Do they think, for one minute, that protects their privacy? Cell phone activity is some of the easiest to track. And, where is the intimacy? The sense of connectedness? How can one study facial expressions or body language when all they see is the screen on which they're typing, or reading a typed message? Each in his or her own little cyber world. What ever happened to looking into someone's eyes while speaking to them? And really listening -- hearing -- what they have to say? Too many today are missing out on such experiences, because they depend entirely too much on the technology.

Yeah, it's the wave of the future here in the present, and probably one day nobody will have land lines, anymore, or be able to get one installed. When that time comes, we'll manage to stay in touch with those who matter to us. There will still be ways for folks to reach us if they need to. There will always be ways.

Just spouting off, for what it's worth ... You can ignore this if you wish -- and good luck finding a new phone you enjoy. Not everyone feels as I do.
    Dang and they just want a recommendations.
    220g Frontosa tank.
    210g monster fish tank.
    125g planted wild altum tank
    55g grow out tank.
    29g quarantine tank.

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    I am probably one of the least attached to their phone types of my generation....so I do see your point mermaid. In many cases people have not learned how to authentically communicate with others. However those valid points you made don't really have a great deal to do with helping the OP decide what phone would be the best option for them. It may be better to formulate that into a separate topic. Just my humble opinion.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Not one too dependent on the cell either, matter of fact I forgot it at home Monday and after a thought I and moved on with life. My sister has her's on her 21-7, 365. Its very aggravating on the weekend when you want to get stuff done and her idea of help is physical support-standing and texting her friend while I work around her. Or you are in the car and having a conversation with yourself as you realize she is so engrossed in texting she has tuned you entirely out.

Now since everyone in the house has a cell, we don't have a land line since #1 we aren't home to get phone calls from spammers, and #2 for $40 a month its a rip off.

If Grandma was in the house than we would have a land line, but useless for now.

...since we have gone off on tangent...
    Last edited by Boundava; 03-02-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   Have another clown loach ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    I have no choice. My personal phone is a note 8 but my work phone is an iPhone. Hands down I like the note 8 better but my work will call both at times.
    220g Frontosa tank.
    210g monster fish tank.
    125g planted wild altum tank
    55g grow out tank.
    29g quarantine tank.

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luke77 View Post
    I have no choice. My personal phone is a note 8 but my work phone is an iPhone. Hands down I like the note 8 better but my work will call both at times.
    That is why I tend to lose mine on the weekends or my personal days off. My staff or clients all have the number
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I see mermaid's points. Sue, go with Samsung's S series, you won't be disappointed changing from Apple.

Regarding modern cell phone use, it's incredibly annoying. Going for dinner with a group of friends and everyone's phones are beside the plate. Same goes for family dinners, some have their phones in their hands at all times and beside their plate as they eat lol.

About 90% of the time, I have no clue my hubby is even listening to me. 70% off the time, I know he is not lol! With a tablet and phone, he has both to use simultaneously

Plus, the kids now (3-10 years) are stuck in a virtual world. By the time they reach 20, they've done nothing with their lives and learned next to nothing! I'm actually very happy I experienced life in my teenage years without being a slave to my cell. I would have never done the fun things I did if I was growing up today.

I remember comedian George Carlin (RIP) ripping into youth saying "Do kids even know what a stick is anymore?" Lol!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I've been an iPhone user almost exclusively for 7 years simply because it's what I'm familiar with. Never tried an Android so I can't comment on which is better. I don't really understand the hate the iPhone and its users receive from the Android crowd. Brand-bashing has never really been my thing. I've never had any issues with my iPhone. Never crashes, battery lasts all day, never drops calls, great reception, and apps fire up right away, more storage space than I need, and it works seamlessly with the massive library of iTunes music I have built over the last decade. It accesses my entire iTunes library and streams it without me having to actually download a single song onto my phone and use up space (the option is there to download, if you wish).

As for the offshoot discussion... I agree it has become an issue in that some people have obsessions with their phones. But that is not the phones' fault. That's like blaming a spoon for a person being overweight. You don't boycott buying forks because there are people who die of poor health from obesity.

I know plenty of people who have cell phones and aren't obsessed with them. I have a phone and use it for gaming, texting my wife throughout the day, and surfing the internet. I absolutely love listening to educational things while I work, and I like listening to discussions like the Joe Rogan Experience podcast while I drive instead of listening to the same ten songs being played on the radio while stuck in rush hour. If I'm having a discussion with someone and we become curious about something, it's great to be able to whip out the phone and research the topic without having to be near a desktop computer. We don't use our phones around others, and if it rings while I'm talking to someone I will reach down to my pocket and squeeze it to silence it so that it won't disturb and we continue our discussion. We go on walks, we go on bike rides, we take our dogs out to the parks, we go camping, we play, we read, we build things...we've never had phone use interrupt our normal daily lives. Only very close friends and family have our numbers. I will go days without my phone ringing and I make calls maybe 5-10 times a month.

You don't have to be a social hermit who refuses to get a cell phone in order to avoid becoming one of the people obsessed with it. There is a whole spectrum of users in-between those extremes.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For the Apple/Samsung shenanigans lol!  Seriously though, did I say something? If I did I really apologize. - angelcraze2   

1 Not allowed!
    I have had a Galaxy S2, 3, 5 ,7 and am now on an S8. I have also had an iPhone. I'm not going to say which is better...the epic phone battle. Apple makes a great handset. However for me, Android and the Galaxy, offers more. Additional storage speaks for itself. I have a 256GB micro sd card. The screen is Gorilla Glass. I have never used or needed a screen protector (I'm a belt holster IT geek). I am pre-ordering the S9 from Best Buy for $100 off. However if you wait a bit the S7 and S8 will go down in price. I have to have the newest one, then I pass it down the line to wife through to kids

Good luck in your decision!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For the Apple/Samsung shenanigans lol!  Seriously though, did I say something? If I did I really apologize. - angelcraze2   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I've been an iPhone user almost exclusively for 7 years simply because it's what I'm familiar with. Never tried an Android so I can't comment on which is better. I don't really understand the hate the iPhone and its users receive from the Android crowd. Brand-bashing has never really been my thing. I've never had any issues with my iPhone. Never crashes, battery lasts all day, never drops calls, great reception, and apps fire up right away, more storage space than I need, and it works seamlessly with the massive library of iTunes music I have built over the last decade. It accesses my entire iTunes library and streams it without me having to actually download a single song onto my phone and use up space (the option is there to download, if you wish).

As for the offshoot discussion... I agree it has become an issue in that some people have obsessions with their phones. But that is not the phones' fault. That's like blaming a spoon for a person being overweight. You don't boycott buying forks because there are people who die of poor health from obesity.

I know plenty of people who have cell phones and aren't obsessed with them. I have a phone and use it for gaming, texting my wife throughout the day, and surfing the internet. I absolutely love listening to educational things while I work, and I like listening to discussions like the Joe Rogan Experience podcast while I drive instead of listening to the same ten songs being played on the radio while stuck in rush hour. If I'm having a discussion with someone and we become curious about something, it's great to be able to whip out the phone and research the topic without having to be near a desktop computer. We don't use our phones around others, and if it rings while I'm talking to someone I will reach down to my pocket and squeeze it to silence it so that it won't disturb and we continue our discussion. We go on walks, we go on bike rides, we take our dogs out to the parks, we go camping, we play, we read, we build things...we've never had phone use interrupt our normal daily lives. Only very close friends and family have our numbers. I will go days without my phone ringing and I make calls maybe 5-10 times a month.

You don't have to be a social hermit who refuses to get a cell phone in order to avoid becoming one of the people obsessed with it. There is a whole spectrum of users in-between those extremes.
    Exactly. Some people can't put their phone down. It's like an appendage. And I also agree with the name bashing. Like in my post, Apple makes a good handset. It's whatever works for the user. I've had both. I just ended up staying with the Galaxy line of phones. Not the Note...don't want to catch on fire

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Whoa, touchy territory. Name bashing? Who are you referring to? I hope it wasn't me or someone here. I say it how it is, all of my friends and family have now switched to Samsung S except my in-laws who have special iconversations thru a messaging service for only iPhone. Literally everyone else has Samsung phones.

The OP wanted a referral for a phone, she had an Apple phone and was looking to possibly switch for her own reasons. I still have ipods and ipads, I just like my galaxy so much better but that's my opinion. I pondered the same thing when I switched to Samsung, so I thought I'd let her know my reasons for choosing Samsung over Apple. I certainly don't mean to name bash if I did it, (honestly I personally don't care that much about cell phones, just wanted to help), but I use Spotify for my music (the playlists are great) and love the large display screens of the galaxy phones. All my stereos still have ipod docks, but with wireless streaming or Bluetooth, that's not an issue anymore. I like android apps better as well. I use my phones for all my searches, pics, vids, to navigate The classic site of this forum...what more do I need?

I'm not glued to my phone like everybody else around me, and for the most part, I've found the fad has slowed down a bit, where ppl aren't quite as addicted to their phones, but it's still funny to me how much they are still a extended arm attachment and bothers me that the young generation hasn't experienced anything. It's not just because of cell phones, what's a kid to do anymore when everything is considered too dangerous?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat