· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mbuna tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Mbuna tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all. was wondering if anyone can help.

I am having a bit of trouble with a new 420l 6ft mbuna tank I have been setting up. I have been cycling this new tank for around 3 weeks with pure amonia. I have gully cycled the tank and it's starting to look really good. Was going to start to put fish in on Saturday.I am completely over run with worms. I have had them in my tanks before as I used to keep monster fish .I have never had them this bad before. I understand that they are most of the time always present in a tank and can be made worse by over feeding and bad water. I haven't put any food in but I have been putting ammonia in to cycle and haven't done a water change for some time until last night. I changed around 40 percent of water last night and adding some more rocks. When I came home today there are literally thousands if not millions of these in my tank. I am very worried now as one they look terrible and two they take air from the water. Does anyone have any advice on these horrible little creatures. Thanks. I've included a few photos. As you can see there are loads of them. The dead ones have left marks all over my rocks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm not aware of any freshwater worms that cloud the tank or make marks on rock, especially in the absence of an obvious food source.
    Worms also wouldn't reproduce that rapidly.
    Are you sure they are worms? Have you seen the individual little dots crawing around?
    I am more inclined to suspect that the marks on the rocks and cloudiness are due to fungal growth and bacterial blooms respectively, which are both common in new tanks.
    If they are worms, perhaps there was some organic matter that came with the porous rocks.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    I'm not aware of any freshwater worms that cloud the tank or make marks on rock, especially in the absence of an obvious food source.
    Worms also wouldn't reproduce that rapidly.
    Are you sure they are worms? Have you seen the individual little dots crawing around?
    I am more inclined to suspect that the marks on the rocks and cloudiness are due to fungal growth and bacterial blooms respectively, which are both common in new tanks.
    If they are worms, perhaps there was some organic matter that came with the porous rocks.
    Hi. Yes they are definitely worms. Plants I think they are but I'm not sure. There are so many of them.I don't know if I should do another water change or not as I don't want to damage the cycling. They were there before I added the rock I think bit now they are everywhere.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Where did you get these rocks?...have they been used in a tank before?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC.

Where did you get these rocks?...have they been used in a tank before?
    No they are brand new rocks. I have had these worms in a tank I have had before I'm wondering if they have hung on to something . It really is bad

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukewd85 View Post
    No they are brand new rocks. I have had these worms in a tank I have had before I'm wondering if they have hung on to something . It really is bad
    At first I thought they were air bubbles but when I looked closer they are tiny worms

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    What about the substrate, is it new or used?

That had to have been introduced somehow...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Agreed with Slaphppy7.
    The worms must have been introduced from somewhere.
    There are large populations of bacteria and fungi growing off of the ammonia in the tank. It is possible that that is what the worms are grazing on once they've been introduced.
    If this is so, the problem should naturally resolve itself once the tank cycles fully and balances out.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    What about the substrate, is it new or used?

That had to have been introduced somehow...
    the tank and rocks and sand is all new. one of the filters is old but hasn't been used over 2 years. The buckets and sponges also are the same . The outbreak is unbeleivable. Is there a way I can get rid of them or even make a dent in there population

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Agreed with Slaphppy7.
    The worms must have been introduced from somewhere.
    There are large populations of bacteria and fungi growing off of the ammonia in the tank. It is possible that that is what the worms are grazing on once they've been introduced.
    If this is so, the problem should naturally resolve itself once the tank cycles fully and balances out.
    I was thinking the same .They must be feeding off the ammonia and the algae in the tank. Do you think I should now be doing a load of water changes? Thanks everyone for your replies